This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

open office freezes my system!!!

System amd 64 2800(socket 754), 1 gig ram, samsung 120gig sata HDD, asus mainboard(via chipset) geforce 5700le video card.
    Kubuntu dapper freezes when i use Open Office. I select Writer, new then wizard and the whole thing freezes. the only thing that remains working is the mouse pointer but i can't select anything with it. The only way to reset the system is via the power button on the case. Can anyone help
    and or can anybody replicate this problen?

Re: open office freezes my system!!!

I've noticed that starting Oo.o wizards in Dapper seems to be much slower than I expect it to be on a computer that's only slightly faster than yours (Athlon64 3800). Can you keep the computer from freezing up by counting to 25 before you start moving anything? Does the wizrd eventually appear if you wait?

By the way, I'm enough of a fan of instant gratification that I'm thinking of switching to Koffice.

Comment

No. stays frozen. I've even tried uninstalling then reinstalling, but the same thing happens.

Comment

Unfortunately, I've got nothing to suggest (other than switching to Koffice). I can't duplicate your problem because the only thing that happens on my system is that the wizard takes an annoying amount of time to start. Have you tried to kill the process with the Ctl-Alt-Esc skull and crossbones?

Comment

Try restarting the X server when the freeze happens (CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE).

Comment

ctrl-alt esc works, but does any one know why this happens. I did a default install from the kubuntu dvd, haven't changed anything. Can't run any of the wizards in writer without the system freeing. You would think that there would be a direct link to a page to report a problem on the Kubuntu homepage!

Comment

I just did a search on Launchpad for your bug and didn't find it. Although there were a healthy number of bug reports regarding Oo.o (more with Gnome than KDE). I suggest that you report the problems. The worst thing that can hpaaen is that they'll report it upstream and it'll be fixed in the next edition. Wish I had better advice.

Comment

Working...
              X