This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to linux

Hi everyone i am new to this forum and Linux.
    I want to get away from Windows and have something that is easy to use, and that I can learn pretty quickly. I am an avid PC gamer (World of Warcraft is the biggest issue) People say that it running under Wine it works perfectly (but I'm still kind of skeptic).

Second. is installing Linux (especially kubuntu) idiot proof? (I mean like is it easy to install and not have it mess up your computer?

Third. does it have drivers for everything already installed or do I have to find them myself and download them? (i.e Wireless card driver (I have a laptop so this is essential), Display driver etc..)

Fourth. Is there a way to save my data from my hard drive without putting it on some external memory device, Or do I have to do a clean install (I don't want to but I will if necessary)

Finally. I have created a live CD and tried it out. I like how it works so far but if these questions could be answered I would appreciate it.

Re: New to linux

Once installed, you can install a program named PlayOnLinux which will let you install WOW. And many other Windows apps. It is a front end for wine.

Nothing is idiot proof, but you should not have any problems installing Kubuntu.

If the live CD ran OK on your computer, then all of the necessary drivers should be automatically loaded. You may want to install a different video driver depending on what video you have, but it will run and you can return to the form to find out how to install a better driver if you need to.

When you install Kubuntu, you will be presented with the option to divide your disk into separate partitions, keeping your current Windows installation intact and installing Kubuntu on a different partition. So you won't lose your Windows installation. You will then be able to choose at boot which system you wish to boot to. You will be able to access your Windows data from Kubuntu.

Go for it.

Comment

Yep, what Detonate said.

I came over to Linux about 5 years ago -- was a longtime DOS/Windows and predecessors user. Here's how you need to look at it:

-- NO, installing and using Linux is NOT idiot proof. You can muck it up. So, how to deal with that? My experience says "practice makes perfect". Don't bet your future success on a single installation experience -- I can almost guarantee your first experience will end in confusion and frustration. Do like me, and install Kubuntu multiple times, exploring the options each time. Make a Parted Magic Live CD first, and use that to get comfortable with partitioning a hard disk drive (don't use one with data on it -- use an old doggy one for practice). Then learn how to boot your Kubuntu Live CD (or better, Alternate Install CD), and use "manual" mode to install it on whichever partition you decide. Spend a few hours this way, and you will be a master of partitioning and installing, which is where so many noobs get tangled up and frustrated.

-- You MAY need to install a driver or two, or you may not, depending on your hardware. But don't let that scare you -- it's way better in recent times than 5 years ago. Unless you have really new and/or exotic sound cards or wifi chips, you should be fine.

-- If you don't have a spare hard drive (a "doggy old one" as mentioned above, for example), then yes, you can use your Parted Magic Live CD to shrink the existing partition, assuming you don't have the entire drive jammed full. But the truth is that whenever you change the partitioning on a hard drive in any way, there is a risk of total data loss. You really should find a way to back it up securely, before you ever launch the partitioner, to be safe.

There's my two cents' worth on the topic. Welcome, and good luck!

Comment

I forgot to mention, that before you start, you should enter your Windows in safe mode and defrag your hard drive from safe mode. Sometimes the partitioner will fail when resizing your windows partition if the drive is fragmented.
        The reason you do it in safe mode is that you get a better defrag that way. Because defrag can't move files in use.

Comment

Thank you guys for answering my questions. After what you told me I feel a bit more comfortable installing Linux. I think I will try duel booting first and see how I like that, but I would really like to just get rid of windows vista all together and go fully Linux. As for installing I think that when I switch over to Linux fully i will put everything on an external hard drive so I don't have the confusion of something being lost. Anyway thanks again!

Comment

How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots
            Read it. Comprehend it. Do it. This is considered to be the BEST guide of it's kind out there.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Brisingr
                I think that when I switch over to Linux fully i will put everything on an external hard drive so I don't have the confusion of something being lost. Anyway thanks again!
                That will be OK on an ESata drive, but not on a USB drive. USB buss speed will throttle your system and affect performance. I wish USB 3 would hurry up and get here.

Comment

I've played WoW via Wine for 3 years now, generally it has worked fine- except once when a WoW update completely killed my WoW install. As I have always dual-booted since starting to use Kubuntu now I only run the WoW Updater in Windows. Also, I run my 'normal' Windows install of WoW using Wine, I haven't re-installed it under Kubuntu. This means I can play under either OS with exactly the same settings.

Comment

As a practicing idiot, which my wife can corroborate, I can tell you that we are exceedingly ingenious!

Nothing is beyond our ability to mess up!

It was I challenge but I've managed to mess up a Linux installation or two.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek

It was I challenge but I've managed to mess up a Linux installation or two.
                      I came up with a new way to hang a Linux system last week. It involves a Win 7 VM, a USB headset, and Skype for Windows.

Hint: When your USB bus takes a trip to Jupiter, your USB keyboard and mouse are no longer connected ......

Comment

Hey guys I did it! I duel booted Linux and vista and it works great! Thanks for all of your guys' feedback and also thanks to the person who put that duel booting guide up thanks a lot!

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of linux.

You are sure to have questions as you get to grips with things. If so, your first port of call should be here.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisingr
                            ..... thanks to the person who put that duel booting guide up ....
                            That was Snowhog. You'll see a LOT of him and Dibl in this forum. Compared to them the rest of us are just shagging balls.

Welcome aboard!
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                            X