This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VNC shift key fails

I'm trying to run Kubuntu remotely from a Windows machine, using VNC (NX does not run for some reason). The cursor is just a tiny dot in VNC, which is annoying, but the fact that the shift key does not work is a show stopper. I've found old articles about a similar problem, years ago, but nothing recent.

Re: VNC shift key fails

Which version of VNC Server are you using?
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Whatever came with the current release of Kubuntu

Comment

I wasn't aware that any version of VNC was preinstalled in Kubuntu?
        Are you meaning remote desktop (Krfb)?

I would install x11vnc server. It tends to work the best with all windows vnc clients such as UltraVNC, RealVNC, and TightVNC. It is also pretty easy to set up.
        Below is a good set up for x11vnc server
        http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=45565
        &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Yes, I meant Krfb. It seems to use the VNC protocols, and the documentation says it is compatible with VNC. I'll try x11vnc as you suggested!

Comment

x11vnc is ... quirky. often, large patches of the screen are left un-refreshed, often for 10 seconds or more. since i'm running both computers directly connected to a router, this cannot be a bandwidth issue.

and, as you can perhaps see, the shift keys still do not work. this makes using pipes in the console impossible.

the cursor is better.

still very unsatisfactory.

i'm using ultravnc win32 viewer 1.0.8.0, november 2009 on the windows side.

Comment

bump

This issue is still unresolved...

Comment

Working...
              X