This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing Items in Kubuntu Desktop

I installed ubuntu 10.04 recently, and downloaded the KDE desktop to use as an alternate work environment. I had done this previously with 8.04, without any problems. In the new version, I have downloaded plasma-desktop to install KDE, and KDE works fine (mostly) on my system. Two things, however, are missing. First, when I go to the "Leave" screen, I can hibernate, log out, etc., but there is no "shut down" setting available. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

The other thing I am lacking is the icon in the bottom right corner which allows me to connect to a network. I have searched and searched the widgets, but can not the item that should do this job. Again, any suggestions on how to fix this would be welcome.

I am a newbie to this forum, but have used ubuntuforums on occasion before.

Re: Missing Items in Kubuntu Desktop

I installed ubuntu 10.04 recently, and downloaded the KDE desktop to use as an alternate work environment. I had done this previously with 8.04, without any problems. In the new version, I have downloaded plasma-desktop to install KDE,...
    Hmm - you have the Ubuntu 10.04 and you have installed the Kubuntu desktop ?
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    Are you using the gdm (Gnome Display Manager) or the kdm (KDE display manager) ?

Try to change to the kdm (this may or may not help):
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
    If you have the kdm and the gdm installed then you will be asked what do you want to use as a default display manager.

First, when I go to the "Leave" screen, I can hibernate, log out, etc., but there is no "shut down" setting available. Does anyone know how I can fix this?
    This may be the kdm/gdm conflict - a workaround is to install the kshutdown:
    an advanced shut down utility for KDE

It has 4 main commands:
    - Shut Down (logout and halt the system),
    - Reboot (logout and reboot the system),
    - Lock Screen (lock the screen using a screen saver),
    - Logout (end the session and logout the user).

It features time and delay options, command line support, wizard,
    and sounds.
    [img width=400 height=217]http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/999/optionsu.png[/img]

The other thing I am lacking is the icon in the bottom right corner which allows me to connect to a network. I have searched and searched the widgets, but can not the item that should do this job. Again, any suggestions on how to fix this would be welcome.
    Do you have the package: network-manager-kde
    KDE system tray applet for controlling NetworkManager
    Alternative: plasma-widget-networkmanagement
    Network Management widget for KDE4 Plasma
    but note:
    CAUTION: plasma widget is not very usable at the moment. Consider using
    network-manager-kde instead.
    The network-manager-kde should install /usr/share/autostart/kde4-knetworkmanager-autostart.desktop and should start automatically.

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried them -- it made sense, since the first options I tried were via the Ubuntu Software Center, and I would have figured that command-line options. However, after trying the suggestions, the same missing items were still missing. I'd welcome any other ideas.

Comment

If Rog131's suggestion for the logout option didn't work do a

Code:
        sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm
        and select kdm as your login manager.

As for your network - are you wired or wlan? If wired/desktop I wouldn't use anything. Kubuntu just connects to the dhcp server, full stop. If you are on wlan I'd give wicd a go if I were you. There is plenty of documentation in this forum. There is supposedly even a kubuntu wiki although I could never make head or tail of it
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Hi,
          I left you a message on Ubuntu forums about the network manager thing.
          http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...64#post9382464
          In short, see if the command 'knetworkmanager' will launch the network manager applet/widget.
          If so you can add it to your startup application list.
          hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
          X