X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

copy name

hey there

i just find something that i think is a must for all os'

go to the desktop and then choose to rename a file/folder on it. now try to copy that file's/folder's name using right click>copy
    (works with ctrl+c but that's not my point)

Re: copy name

Submit a report to https://bugs.kde.org/

Keep in mind that the "Desktop" is a Plasma widget (not a full-fledged extension of Dolphin etc.) in KDE4 and it is quite possible that they have overlooked some use-cases and would appreciate the feedback.
    Man by his very nature is dependent on other men.

Comment

Let's be very clear on terminology here. 'Desktop' is a 'folder' in the users /home directory. Renaming anything in that folder with right-click works just fine. Right-clicking to copy on the renamed item works just fine.

If the OP however, is referring to the Plasma Desktop (Desktop Activity), then things work very differently there.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Trial and error lead me to what s/he meant... but yes, Snowhog, I should have been a little more specific as to the reference and nomenclature of what we are talking about.

I forget sometimes that the forums aren't just helping the person asking the question, but also those coming with potentially the same (or close to it) problem. Not to mention those searching for "Linux problems" to see whether or not to make the switch

To be specific:
        psorincatalin is referring to the 'Folder View' plasmoid (which you can also set to be your entire screen and/or desktop activity.)

Problem:
        This plasmoid does not provide a mouse context menu when editing text.

I have, personally, never noticed and don't see any need for it. However, that doesn't mean that many others don't find it a useful feature. Thus, submitting a feature/bug request through http://bugs.kde.org/ is likely the best route to go.

Cheers

Comment

I'm confused........ya thats normall.

I have a folder view of /home/me on desktop 6 I scrole down to a text file and right click it click rename and rename it.......hit enter so it takes......now right click agin (still in the folder view) and click copy........now scrole to a diferent folder point at it .... point to the popup window for that folder right click in a blank space and click "paste 1 file" and thar it is.......??

is that what your talking abought?

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yes Vinny.... you are confused

Here are the steps:
            - Right-click on a file/folder in your Folder View plasmoid.
            - Click "rename" from the context menu that comes up.
            - The name of the file/folder becomes highlighted (blue by default).
            - Attempt to right-click again to select "copy" from the context menu (doesn't work).

The reported problem is not copying the file. It is copying the (text) name of the file that is the problem.

Hope that sorts things out.
            Cheers

Comment

Yeah, that gotta be a bug because you can copy the desktop filename with Ctrl + C but not with right-click Copy...
              Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
              Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
              Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
              Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

thank you for correcting me....i should've specified that is the "folder view" desktop of plasma not the "desktop" in "home" but u get what i'm saying. anyway the way i discovered this is that i'm very lazy by "default" =) and i work with filenames alot and instead of ctrl+c i use the mouse since it's already there in my hand. oh...and another thing can someone report that bug to https://bugs.kde.org/ ? as i mentioned earlier i'm very lazy

Comment

Working...
                X