This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unlock Screen is Blank

QUICK SUMMARY: I started Kubuntu right before 10.04 was released. As soon as I moved to the release version I noticed that when I go to unlock the screen, I get white rectangle with no words or text on it at all. This is also happening with my second laptop, which did not go through he upgrade process. I simply installed Kubuntu there. I type my password and hit enter and it lets me in... so it seems to have the controls, they are just not showing.

History: My screensaver is xscreensavers, which seemed to integrated with 9.10 perfectly. This is the complication I've had with 10.04. This happens even when I use the blank screensaver.

* What release of Kubuntu you are using
    * If Kubuntu is installed, is it installed 'inside' of Windows (Wubi installation).
    No
    * What version of KDE you are using.
    * What version of Grub you are using.
    Uhhhhhhhhhh the latest
    * What other Operating Systems are installed.
    None

Information about your PC:

* Type (Desktop or laptop)
    Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop
    Intel Core Duo T2400 / 5 Mb Cache / 1.83 GHz / 667 MHZ FSB
    15.4" Wide-screen XGA Display with Truelife
    120 Gb 5400 rpm Sata Hard Drive
    1 Gb DDR2 SDRAM / 553 MHZ
    256 Mb ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 Hyper memory
    9 - Cell Battery

Re: Unlock Screen is Blank

After you unlock the screen, and assuming your keyboard is still connected, hit Alt+F2 to open a konsole. Then do Alt+F7 to see if your desktop comes back.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I did the steps you specified... I was wondering what that was supposed to do.
      I don't think you understand.

Attached is a picture of my screen when I try to unlock from screensaver.

http://i45.tinypic.com/1zefbpd.jpg

Comment

Ah, yes. A picture is worth a thousand words...

Are the two vorticies I see in the image part of the "blank" screen saver?

Since the text box for inputting the password is not showing, and neither are any other GUI objects, your only recourse is to use Sysmagic keys to reboot, and then reset your desktop screen saver so it doesn't use the blank screen saver (IF that is the only one giving you the problem).

Does disabling the screen saver option and just locking the screen give you the same problem?

There used to be a valid reason for screen savers -- to prevent ghost images caused by phosphor burns on the face of the CRT. Few people use vacuum tube technology any more, which makes "screen savers" a novelty, not a necessity. As a security measure they are lacking because most users set their screen savers to activate after so many minutes of inactivity, if they are not at their desk, minutes anyone could use to do mischief.

If locking the screen is the intent there is a plasmoid which puts the shutdown & padlock icons next to the cashew in the panel.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          Ah, yes. A picture is worth a thousand words...

Are the two vorticies I see in the image part of the "blank" screen saver?
          No, I switched back to my Euler2d screensaver when setting it to "blank" did nothing.

Since the text box for inputting the password is not showing, and neither are any other GUI objects, your only recourse is to use Sysmagic keys to reboot, and then reset your desktop screen saver so it doesn't use the blank screen saver (IF that is the only one giving you the problem).
          All screensavers (blank or not) fail to give me the unlock screen correctly

Does disabling the screen saver option and just locking the screen give you the same problem?

There used to be a valid reason for screen savers -- to prevent ghost images caused by phosphor burns on the face of the CRT. Few people use vacuum tube technology any more, which makes "screen savers" a novelty, not a necessity. As a security measure they are lacking because most users set their screen savers to activate after so many minutes of inactivity, if they are not at their desk, minutes anyone could use to do mischief.

If locking the screen is the intent there is a plasmoid which puts the shutdown & padlock icons next to the cashew in the panel.
          In locking the screen I activate the screensaver, so I'm not sure how to disable. I use Ctrl + Alt + L to lock when I leave my desk.

Comment

Systemsettings --> General Tab --> Desktop icon --> Screen Saver

On it is the "Start Automatically" checkbox that disables it.

Comment

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/569993

Comment

Shot in the dark: What Theme are you running?
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Blend

Comment

Have you tried using a different Theme to see if the problem is repeatable?
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I switched to AIR and still got the issue. Oddly enough, and possibly unrelated, I can't to anything else now.... when I hit Apply, I'm stuck in AIR... strange.

Will logout and back in I guess.

Comment

From the bug report it looks like a bug related to the Radeon flgrx driver.

Comment

Working...
                        X