This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Mount CD/DVD or floppy & USBs Not Even Recognized

I have Googled some info on mtab, fstab, Mount Manager & KDE Partition Manager... I think I have just confused myself and possibly made things worse! I just want my drives and USB ports to work. They all worked just fine before I did a fresh install of 10.04. Now:

1. CD/DVD drive: is recognized, but nothing plays when I put in a CD or DVD.
    2. Internal floppy drive: is recognized, but I keep getting different error messages about the mount point, even though I have tried to change this through Mount Manager and mtab/fstab
    3. Internal Media Card Reader (This is in a drive bay and connected to USB pins on the motherboard, there are 5 different slots for different types of media and a USB port on this device): all of the media slots are recognized but I can't read anything off a card in any of them, and the USB port isn't even recognized.
    4. USB ports: I have 4 on the back that are part of the motherboard- these all seem to work ok, even though I don't see them mentioned anywhere in my system! I have 2 ports in the front panel of my puter that are plugged into USB pins on the motherboard, and that other port in the card reader I mentioned previously- none of these are recognized or work!

Are these problems related, and is there is a simple adjustment I can make to fix all this at once?

Re: Can't Mount CD/DVD or floppy & USBs Not Even Recognized

#1 may be fixed by following the guidance under #9 in the FAQs in my signature.

#2 -- insert a floppy diskette in the drive, then open a terminal and enter
    Code:
    modprobe floppy
    If that doesn't work, then you may be out of luck, or (considering the USB adaptation) it could be related to ...

#3 & #4 are both USB issues. It's not obvious what the problem is. This forum contains many reports of problems with USB devices, but the problems seem to be rather scattered -- mostly related to non-storage items like cameras and phones and mp3 players.

Code:
    lsusb
    should list connected USB devices. If it doesn't, then you'll have to dig deeper and probably do some Google work. Questions:

- when you boot a Kubuntu 10.04 Live CD, do all USB connections function?

- does a live CD of some other distro, like sidux, do any better?

- install hardinfo and/or hwinfo and run them to see how much of your hardware is recognized by Kubuntu

- explore the options in your BIOS setup for USB -- try "legacy" mode, for example and see if you get better results

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
    X