This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Kpackage kit error

I'we just installed kubuntu 10.04 on my second laptop and was installing some of the video codec's from the "newbie help" thread here on the forum when something went sour... and now when i start kpackage kit to check system updates I get a error msg. saying "an unknown error happened" so I figured that I might have made a mistake when adding sources to the sources.list file so i copy'ed the working file from my first laptop over but i still get the unknown error...

annyone seen this before?
    Is it possible to reinstall the whole kpackage kit thingey?

Re: Kpackage kit error

Kpackagekit is a GUI front-end to the APT package manager. Probably the problem is in the package database or cache, not Kpackagekit.

Assuming your sources.list file has correctly formed source repositories .... with Kpackagekit not running, open a terminal and do these:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    if any of them throws an error, post it here. If they all run to completion, then you should be able to close the terminal and run kpackagekit with no problem.

Comment

The commands run without errors but the package manager still dont work... my sources file work on one of my laptops so i would assume it works on this one aswell... is there somewhere i can get a fresh copy of the sources file?

right now im contemplating reinstalling kubuntu as this is a fairly fresh install annyway.. anny thougts?

Comment

If the commands run without errors, then the APT system is in good shape. (This does not prove that your source repos are appropriate, however, but they probably are.)

So, two more notions before you go back to the install CD.

(1)
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install --reinstall kpackagekit
        If there is some problem with that package, this should sort that out.

(2)
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install synaptic
        Since you're new, you can just as easily get used to the synaptic package management GUI as kpackagekit. Also, you'll be oblivious to all the gtk dependencies that it drags in with it. It will be installed in KMenu > System, alongside Kpackagekit. To run it, do Alt-F2 "synaptic" with no quote marks. It will ask for your administrator password, and then it will open and you can see all the packages in the repos, and their properties. To install a package, first "mark" it in the checkbox, then click "Apply" on the top menu, and it will be installed.

Comment

Thnx for qucik reply...

I'we tried to reinstall it now but it still gives me the error msg when i try to enter the update tab.. installing the synaptic manager now... will it be able to find system updates aswell?

Comment

Synaptic can update your packages just as well as Kpackagekit.

But, I'm concerned that there may be an issue with your repo sources. After you have synaptic installed (but not running), pop open a terminal window and enter these:

Code:
            sudo apt-get update
            Code:
            sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
            If it throws an error, post it here. If there's no error from apt-get, then there should be no problem using synaptic either.

Comment

Kpackage kit still dont work but synaptic worked like a charm! problem solved!

thanks a million!

Comment

Originally posted by Morbidos
                Kpackage kit still dont work
                Someday, maybe some ambitious developer will write a qt-based GUI front-end for the APT system, that will perform as well as Synaptic. Until then .... we wait. :P

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Kpackage kit error

KPackageKit works, just not as well as it should and that is needed/demanded of a default package manager. I don't care that Synaptic is a Gnome-centric application. It's the first thing I install after installing a new version of Kubuntu.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                  X