This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Display settings aren't saved

Hello, I am fairly new to Linux and only installed Kubuntu for the first time today (I have played around with vanilla Ubuntu before, however). I have a dual monitor setup including a 30" Gateway with a "recommended" resolution of 1280x800 but a native resolution of 2560x1600. What I mean by that is, I think the monitor tells the OS the recommended resolution is 1280x800 as this is what both Kubuntu and Windows default to when first installed. On Windows, I set it to 2560x1600 and all is well for all time. However, when I set it to the same in Kubuntu (as well as turning off the cloning that happens by default) in the "Display" system settings dialog, every time I reboot it defaults back to cloning at a resolution of 1600x1200. I am running Kubuntu 10.04 with an ATI 4850 graphics card.

I found one tip that mentioned adding the following lines to Home/.kde/share/config/krandrrc:
    [Display]
    ApplyOnStartup=true
    SyncTrayApp=true

But this didn't seem to do anything for me. I searched for about an hour trying to find another solution but everything I found either pertained to Nvidia cards or editing more cryptic files that I don't feel safe editing without further assistance.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Display settings aren't saved

Not likely, but check K > System Settings > Advanced > Session Manager > On Login and ensure that it isn't set to Start with an empty session. If it is, change it to Start with previous session. (this of course, after you've set your monitor resolution settings to your liking)
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Display settings aren't saved

It's set to "Restore previous session". I confess I managed to work around the original issue. I tried the proprietary ATI drivers and they seem to save the settings just fine. I still don't know how to save them within KDE though if I were to go back to the open source drivers.

Comment

Working...
      X