This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No mp3 playback

I've installed the kubuntu-restricted-extras package however I do not get any sound while playing mp3s. The sound system is working as I get the kde tune when I start up and sound works in movies as well. I have tried playing mp3s in amarok, audacious, kaffeine and vlc. None of them work.

Also,
    I opened system settings -> multimedia. It shows four devices. Under audio output the first device plays the kde start up tune when i click test. Under music no device plays a sound when I press test.

I have attached a snapshot.
    Attached Files
    D'oh!

Re: No mp3 playback

Ok this is getting weird. Now the sounds in the movies aren't working either! In the list of devices in the snapshot attached only the one which says 'ALC883(analog)' works in all categories (notifications, music, video, etc etc) when I click test. However sometimes I get a notification saying that the device doesn't work. I'm confused!
    D'oh!

Comment

Is this a desktop? Is the sound integrated onto the Nvidia Graphics card? I'm going to assume yes to both. In that case, reboot and enter the BIOS and look for a setting that allows for disabling the onboard sound.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

This is a desktop. The motherboard I'm using is Gigabyte M61PME-S2P. Its an nForce 430 motherboard with integrated graphics and sound. I do not have a graphics card.

Another thing I noticed was that the mp3s play when Dolphin shows a preview of the file when it is selected. I mean that there is a preview part in the right hand part of the window. When I press play there, the mp3s play. But there is no sound when I play movies and mp3s in amarok, audacious, vlc or kaffeine
        D'oh!

Comment

Working...
        X