Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] "paste one folder" why is it so?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] "paste one folder" why is it so?

hi. i am new kubuntu user with one weak of experience. i am trying to move a folder from ntfs partition to ext4 partition. but kubuntu pastes only 1 folder. it doesn't paste the files in subfolders. how to paste all the stuff? just like MS Windows?
    may be if i didn't have some common sense i would have lost my data that was in subfolders?

i am determined to gradually quit MS windows. But i have got the idea why every one uses MS windows. Because linux is only for techs.

Re: "paste one folder" why is it so?

I'm in my 50s, thanks for mistaking me as a teen!

Forgive me but slagging off Linux in your first post is not the best way of ensuring an answer to your question. Familiarity does not equate to quality or ease of use - none of us actually want Linux to be freeware windows. On my computer however, right clicking on the folder and selecting copy and then right clicking in the target area and selecting paste one folder pastes all the contents as well.

Also, there are 2 other ways you can do it. In dolphin select view/split view and have the folder visible in one pane and the target directory in the other. Drag the subject folder into the target pane and release. In the resulting pane select copy here. Or you can use the right click menu and use the copy to option. Those should work to. Whichever does it for you.

Comment

Oh pardon my mistake. I actually meant "linux is only for techs". Don't know how did I typed "teens". May be i was drunk!
      You must have never heard anyone saying linux a teen thing? eh? so how can i say that? it was just a typo mistake.

Comment

No worries, welcome to the forum

No, Linux isn't just for techs - I wouldn't describe myself as one, although getting involved does mean you learn, often from mistakes. If you have any problems the best way to go is

1. Search the forum and see if anyone else has had the issue (the fix may well be posted there)

2. If you can't find anything, clearly set out the problem and someone will be along soon.

BTW Did the alternative methods I set out work for you?

Comment

That's common for all the forums. and although i am new to kubuntu, i have been on different forums since ages.

I knew about spliting the dolphin but didn't have any idea how it can be useful. Now draging and copy here solved the problem. but there was no "copy to" option.
          between a couple of days ago i deleted kde folder in order to reset my desktop view, and it did reset it, but it also deleted many settings, torrents, custom input actions. so i suspect that my kubuntu has got corrupt. I will reinstall it from the scratch. maybe that's why i can't find "copy to" option.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] "paste one folder" why is it so?

In dolphin select settings/configure dolphin/general/context menu and you will see the copy to option there. I've had it so long I could not remember whether it was checked by default. Presumably not.

Good luck!

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] "paste one folder" why is it so?

aha. very nice option. enabled. thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X