This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Activation of Driver issue

I tried activating the proprietary driver for my ATI Graphics card. When it got done installing I let my computer reboot. During boot Kubuntu hung. So I reinstalled Kubuntu, activated my driver again, it did the same thing. So now I am on my third install of Kubuntu, and waiting for help on what to do when before installing the driver so that I do not have to re-install Kubuntu yet again.

Re: Activation of Driver issue

Please help us help you.

Please define "activating the proprietary driver". What did you install? Did you get it from the Ubuntu repositories? Which packages did you install?

Please define "Kubuntu hung". What was the last thing you saw? Were there any error messages, or just a black screen? Was your hard drive thrashing? Can you still boot into your alternative operating system?

Comment

Please define "activating the proprietary driver". What did you install? Did you get it from the Ubuntu repositories? Which packages did you install?
      I activated the proprietary driver that the hardware manager had. So, yes I am guessing I got it from the Ubuntu repositories. I just clicked the "Activate" button on this window:
      [img width=325 height=400]http://i44.tinypic.com/35mmsgk.png[/img]

Please define "Kubuntu hung". What was the last thing you saw? Were there any error messages, or just a black screen? Was your hard drive thrashing? Can you still boot into your alternative operating system?
      It would not boot up. It got to this screen:
      [img width=400 height=365]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1PykOXo2c5I/S7KpNRBy9II/AAAAAAAAAKw/TV5b7dboNWk/s1600/kubuntu-plymouth.png[/img]

Then it just stayed there. There was hard-drive activity every once in a while. I let it is sit there for 15 minutes one time and it never went away. Yes I was able to boot into my Windows 7.

Comment

I would suggest NOT activating the proprietary driver in order to see whether that is, in fact, the cause of your problem or simply the step before the step that hangs your machine.

Comment

I know for a fact that it is the proprietary driver that is causing the issue. Like I said, I have done this two other times with this system and that driver, both times I got the hanging at boot problem. The second time was even on a fresh install of Kubuntu.

Comment

You may gain some insight by looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Look for some errors near the end and/or post it here.

Comment

Well, I activated the driver to see if there would be any errors in the logs. There are no errors in the log. Now I am back to square one. I can't use my Kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Malieifucs
                Well, I activated the driver to see if there would be any errors in the logs. There are no errors in the log. Now I am back to square one. I can't use my Kubuntu.
                No, I meant take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log after you boot and it freezes. Normally, you should be able to hit Ctrl+Alt+1 after it freezes to go to a text console and log in from there. There, you can grab a copy of the log.

EDIT: I meant Ctrl+Alt+F1.

Comment

Oops, I meant Ctrl+Alt+F1, not Ctrl+Alt+1.

Comment

Okay the Ctrl+Alt+F1 thing did not work.

Comment

Hold the shift key down during the initial boot phase to bring up the Grub menu. Choose the second option, the recovery boot. It will/should give you a red and blue console menu which you can use to boot into root with a network, if you had configured one, or without a network if you hadn't.
                      Then take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

You may have to force a VESA driver in order to get a graphical desktop (sans 3D acceleration).;
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I would generally advise against simply reinstalling at such an early stage as all you will probably do is repeat the issue. A reinstall is usually needed as a result of fixing things until they are broken I believe your problem can be fixed without resorting to that.

GG is right there is a rescue mode. I'm not at my 'buntu box right now but IIRC one of the rescue options is (unless they have removed it) to fix graphics. In addition to what GG says it will be worth trying that (assuming it still exists) and after doing that type startx.

This should start kde, although you will be root user. What actually happens and, importantly, what error messages if any are there?

Comment

Working...
                        X