This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu installation options

Hi, I have 2 computers, this PC is currently running Win7 and the laptop running WinXP, I want to start getting into Kubuntu but still want to use windows for most things, for now I would like to use kubuntu to do important stuff like internet banking and online shopping etc. but also test it further from time to time, I would like some advice on how I should install/run it, like what's the most secure option (if any).. either just off the live CD, Virtual machine (VM player etc), via Wubi, or even dual boot. my PC has 2 monitors so I was thinking a VM would be a good option, but would it be as safe as a dual boot or live cd? can hackers, key-loggers, trojans etc. or other types of malware interact/interfere with a VM in any way? or is the option purely up to me and whatever is easier? I hope this makes sense and I hope it's not a stupid question.
    Any help/advice will be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Re: kubuntu installation options

Not sure about the security issues with a Virtual Machine, sorry. But my very unofficial opinion is to dual boot, especially if you have a second hardrive your not using. You may run into some boot issues if you place grub on the wrong hard drive in that scenario (dual boot), so research the forums first if that's the route you go. I have done that before (dual boot) and found it to serve my needs better then a VM. Only i ran the VM of windows on a Ubuntu machine. You may want to look at Gnome (Ubuntu) instead of Kubuntu if it's the first time you've used a Debian Desktop. I know i may get flamed for this, but I learned on GNOME before KDE and was glad I did. It made my transition from Windows easier, I now use KDE exclusively but still have much respect for the GNOME. Hope this helps! Most of all remember to have fun, cause it's free!! A big thanks to all opensource developers!! You rock!

Comment

runing Kubuntu in a livecd/USB moad is prity secure.....but you loose every thing on a reboot (exept if runing a USB with persistent right back) and your limited as to what you may/maynot be abel to install .

runing live or dual boot it wont mater what your windows is/isnot infected with as windows is never started.

I would go dual boot after playing live for a wile to see if thare are eney ishues to work out on your hardware.

if you go dual boot read up on it first......and do your partitioning befor you install with somthing like a Gparted livecd.
      prepartitioning usualey reduses the chance of runing into querks with the installer.

I think if your runing in a VM in windows and windows IS infected you could probabley still be at risk.

if you nead more ideas for a dual boot system just ask and you will receve.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Agree that dual boot is the way to go once you have finished experimenting with the live cd.

You may wish to consider harmonising, where possible, the programs you use under both OS's, for example using Thunderbird for Mail. Also it may be a good idea to have the your documents and mail etc in a separate, shared, partition so you can access each equally well.

On the question of a virtual machine, that may well be worth considering if and when you get sufficiently "hooked" on Linux to the point where your use of windows becomes rare. As Vinny says if you are looking into linux for it's internet security as the VM will rely on windows to connect it would rather defeat your objective.

I note your intention is to continue to use windows "for most things", at least for now. Presumably that means you are using some windows apps that are vital to you or you are a gamer. It will be helpful if you can elaborate on what you will still use windows for. In addition to a VM windows installation you can't rule out the possibility that some of your favourite windows apps will run in wine.

HTH

Comment

Working...
        X