This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my kubuntu 10.04 is very laggy

i just installed 10.04 and as soon as i started using it it has been laggy such as loading programs and
    getting youtube to load is a workout i got all updates dont know why its still lagging i am new to linux
    and so far its been a bad experience but i hope someone on here can help me out thanks

Re: my kubuntu 10.04 is very laggy

Hit CTRL+ESC to throw up the system activity log. Is there anything shown on there consuming a lot of CPU time?

Also, being mindful that you are a new user, it may be that strigi (the desktop search daemon) is being over-zealous with the indexing. Look for nepomuk and virtuoso - are they using a lot?

If so, try hitting the kmenu button, and typing strigi in the box in the resulting pane. When the program loads you can uncheck the boxes for nepomuk search. Reboot and login again. Any better?

If not. please tell us what items are consuming the most reources. It will also help if you can give us the following info

Processor
    Ram
    Graphics card

If you have a low-powered graphics card, desktop effects can slow you down. Try turning them off with kmenu/system settings/desktop and uncheck desktop effects.

Also what makes apps seem to load longer is the little bouncing ball that appears whenever you select something. It's useless and annoying and you can turn it off with kmenu/system settings/desktop/launch feedback.

HTH

Comment

ram is low usage when i click on a program the cpu goes up to 100% and it starts to lag minimizing and maximizing takes a while to do too

processor 1.7ghz intel

1gb ram

intel integrated graphix card
      still lags

Comment

The high CPU usage is quite normal whilst a program is loading, the key point is whether it falls back when loaded.

Have you tried the things I suggested?

Comment

yes i tried them first i installed some updates on the konquer web browser that came up on the notifications below then i installed mplayer that seemed to fix my web browsing problem then i disabled the nepomuk semantic desktop then turned the nepomuk memory usage to 100 meg then i clicked apply then my computer froze for 5 minutes i tried to shut down but it did not work i had to unplug the battery on my laptop
          to restart WOW.... then i booted it back up first in recovery mode first and did all those recovery settings then i booted it back up regularly and now it works like new i have no idea how that happened but now kubuntu works like a charm REALLY WEIRD.

Comment

Glad you seem to have got it fixed. Nepomuk semantic desktop seems to be a work in progress that has promise but seems to use more resources than the benefits it delivers are worth (searching within files for example).

I should have said that after turning it off on startup you would need to reboot to see the effect.

One point - if you ever get a total lockup again, try this:- Whist holding down Alt and SysRq/Print screen, slowly type reisub and it will gently shut the computer down and restart it. No need to pull out the battery.

Enjoy your new computer!

Comment

Laggy Linux:

http://rudd-o.com/en/linux-and-free-...ow-to-fix-that

and

http://www.lesswatts.org/tips/disks.php

Comment

Working...
              X