Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Network manager not enabled? (after suspend action)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Network manager not enabled? (after suspend action)

Need Urgent help!

I use my Kubuntu 10.04 with mobile broadband, and this has always worked nicely.

Until an hour ago: When I now point or left-click on the little telephone-like icon only a greyed message appears: "unmanaged".
    Right-clicking reveals the message: "Network manager not enabled"

I am definitely not aware of having switched off the network manager (do not know how to that either)
    What might possibly have happened?
    And what to do about it?
    How to enable the Network Manager again?

Right now I use the same mobile broadband modem on the same computer, but on my (nowadays very rarely used) Windows partition. Thus, the hardware seems okay.

Extremely grateful for quick help!
    Toshiba Satellite L500D-11D, AMD Turion X2, ATI Technologies Inc M92 (Radeon mobility HD4500 series), Kubuntu 10.04,

Re: Urgent: Network manager not enabled?

Did you suspend the machine? At the moment there is a bug which does what you are describing.

Take a look here - that may well help you

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3111291.0

Comment

THAT WAS BAD.

Well, I suspended to RAM several times without problem.
      Today was however the first occasion that I suspended to disc, which actuall didn't work. Kubuntu froze on startup, I had to switch off the hard way and restart.

Probably that's the cause of the problem.

Will try the "fix" in the thread you referred to and hope for the best....hopefully there will be a bug-fix soon?
      Toshiba Satellite L500D-11D, AMD Turion X2, ATI Technologies Inc M92 (Radeon mobility HD4500 series), Kubuntu 10.04,

Comment

Hope so although my experience has been that suspend to RAM has always been a mess, although hibernating's okay.

In view of how you say this has happened I am pretty certain the fix will work for you. Let us know.

Comment

The fix worked.
          Although I got a quite impressing failure message on "service network-manager start" (actuallt don't know what it meant).

Anyway, from now on I'll avoid suspending....... until there is an update available that makes suspending more fail-proof.

Comment

Glad you are back up and running

Please could you mark your thread as solved as it may help others? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
              Hope so although my experience has been that suspend to RAM has always been a mess, although hibernating's okay.

In view of how you say this has happened I am pretty certain the fix will work for you. Let us know.
              I've had the exact opposite experience - ever since hmmm, Gutsy, maybe? I've had no luck hibernating (or rather, coming back from hibe), and great luck with suspending to RAM.

Comment

Just wondering - do you have a swap partition?

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Network manager not enabled? (after suspend action)

Yes, I think so.

Comment

I don't believe the system sets it up automatically. If you have a swap partition, it will be listed in the file /etc/fstab. My thoughts are that if you don't actually know about the swap partition, you probably don't have one.

My understanding is that without it, you will be unable to hibernate the machine as the snapshot will be saved onto the partition. For that reason it will generally need to be at least as big as your RAM.

Comment

This is my /etc/fstab file:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                      #
                      # Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
                      # for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
                      # devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
                      #
                      # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
                      proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
                      # / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
                      UUID=f1c6a16b-6ad7-4e35-9cdf-9bf2e9e25ee1 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
                      # swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
                      UUID=5b3b35db-8165-48f9-80d2-511824a166b6 none swap sw 0 0

I guess I need help interpreting this.
                      Obviously the last line is the one to look at. But what exactly does it tell?
                      I would believe there is a swap partition. Although I can't see anything about its size.

BTW:
                      The same problem with disabled network manager occurs when suspending to RAM, unfortunately.
                      Hope this will be fixed soon.

Comment

Yes, you have a swap partition.

If you type kmenu and type partition in the entry box (at the top of the resulting panel) you should see an entry for the partition manager appear. Selecting it will enable you to view your partitions in graphical form, and also tell you the size. Your swap partition will be shown as sda6.

Comment

Have to admit I need more detailed instructions.

WHERE do I have to type "kmenu" and "partition"?

I tried alt+F2 and typed "kmenu" - nothing happens (nothing at all).
                          I tried alt+F2 and typed "partition" - A browser window opens http://www.semanticdesktop.org/ontol...ilesystemImage

I opened a terminal window and typed, but neither kmenu or partition seem to be existing commands.

So......
                          when you managed stop laughing about my inkompetence......
                          a step-by-step-guide maybe.........?

Thanks in advance...

Comment

Sorry, I threw you with wrong terminology. I'm at work and rushed my reply

K menu appears when you hit the k (aka start) button. At the top of the menu there is a box into which you can type, which is the quickest way of finding an application (so long as you know what you are looking for). Typing partition in the box should result in an icon appearing below to enable you to launch the partition manager.

Comment

Working...
                            X