Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to recover kubuntu 10.04 from safe mode (nothing left)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to recover kubuntu 10.04 from safe mode (nothing left)

Terrible thing have happenned. You can read the previous issue and full story reading my both posts. I had kubuntu 9, then i updated it to 10 but it didnt work cause it could not mount the hard disk but still it ran but only without the kde and network so repairing anything was virtually impossible

So. I figured that this may be an encryption issue. So i typed crypt into package manager and uninstalled all packages... well the problem is it wiped out my whole kubuntu ! Theres only safe mode left ! And I dont have a network on it or I dont know how to get it back.

So my question is - how to perform a recovery. I want to keep my data, and keep it without encryption, so that I can access it. So i will keep you posted shortly wheter my data is encrypted or crypted or whatever during the livecd boot. But still it would be nice for someone to help
    At least tell me how to copy my data in the safe mode to the usb.

I dont know what grub im using, i dont have other operating systems

my computer is amilo pa 3553 with dvdrw version
    its amd x64

EDIT - im in the safe mode trying to either install KDM or for example dolphin. It requires to remove fgrlx, but says there is an error during processing fgrlx returning with code 2 and /usr/bin/dpkg returned error code (1)

Re: How to recover kubuntu 10.04 from safe mode (nothing left)

Boot from a LiveCD and then mount your Kubuntu partition on your HD. Use Dolphin to copy your data to one or more USB sticks.

If you can do that then the easiest way to recover your Kubuntu installation is to inmount the HD, then use the LiveCD, while it is still running, to install Kubuntu onto the HD. Then restore your data. This approach will be a LOT quicker and easier than trying to manually recover your system.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: How to recover kubuntu 10.04 from safe mode (nothing left)

but the data is still encrypted with ecryptfs and livecd cant access it. When i try to reinstall either kdm or dolphin in the console theres always fgrlx in my way returning with errors. I would like to try to recover it

Comment

Working...
      X