Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with OEM installation! please!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with OEM installation! please!

Hi

Im a student at a university. We are running a club that helps take the universitys old computers and refurbish them to donate to charities.

we decided to use kubuntu though we do not really know linux that well, most of us are extremely familiar with hardware but do not know much about sofware.

I was able to make the OEM temp user exactly the way i wanted a normal user to look like (background, splash screen, themes etc)

How can I make the OEM temp user profile be the global default profile? (Im hoping im using correct terminology here)

And also is there a way to create an image disks that already has the edits done to the account?

Thanks so much!
    -dan

Re: Need help with OEM installation! please!

Look for an app called "remastersys". In addition, I just discovered that there is now an app called "oem-config-remaster" in the lucid repos. The description says:
    This script remasters a CD with additional packages and optional oem-config preseed data.
    Slightly later -- Wikipedia on Remastersys:
    Remastersys is a free and open source script for Debian, Ubuntu-based, or derivative software systems that can:

* Create a customized Live CD/DVD (a remaster) of Debian and its derivatives.
    * Back up an entire system, including user data, to an installable Live CD/DVD.

Comment

Thank you very much!

so that helps create the CD but what helps keep the features of the OEM user specifically appearance, background, and splash intact once OEM-config is performed?

Comment

Please note the word "customized".

Comment

k I apoligize for acting so novice but i have no experience with linux whatsoever

I managed to create a cd using remastersys as well as download and set up everything the way i want it.

and i downloaded oem-config-remaster via sudo apt-get install oem-config-remaster

how do i use it?

I tried to check google for some sort of guide and i didnt get anything

thanks!

Comment

nvm i got it something with a gpg key..i created one soo its working now thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X