X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

program install / removal problems

Hi,

I've been trying to find a good Media player to manage my music, and while installing and testing i started getting an error...

Code:
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     shared-mime-info
    then after trying Rhythmbox i started getting..

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get remove rhythmbox
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree    
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
     rhythmbox
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    16 not fully installed or removed.
    After this operation, 15.4MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    (Reading database ... 111982 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing rhythmbox ...
    dpkg: error processing rhythmbox (--remove):
     subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 245
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     rhythmbox
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    any clue as to how to get rid of Rhythmbox (and other useless files) and fix the shared-mime-info?

Running Kubuntu 10.04 AMD64

Re: program install / removal problems

The shared-mime-info package is a database of file types that various programs can use to determine how to handle particular types of files. One can understand how this information would be significant to a media player application. Accordingly, I would use my package manager to completely remove including not only the program, but also, any files, (like the database) installed by the shared-mime-info package. You will almost certainly be warned that a whole bunch of other programs rely on this one, but go ahead anyway. Then, reinstall it. If your problem with Rhythmbox then goes away, you've solved your problem. If not, try Amarok (recommended), Audacity, or whatever other music player catches your fancy.

Comment

using Kpackagekit to try and remove the shared-mime-info returned an error message:

A problem we were not expecting has occurred. Please report this bug with the error description. :etails:: rhythmbox

i'm stuck, and i can't do anything else till i get that program out of there, and fix the shared-mime-info.

Comment

Try using the command line. Perhaps we'll get a more meaningful error message.
        (a) Start a konsole: K > type in "konsole" (without quotation marks) in the white search box at the top.
        (b) In konsole, enter the command: "sudo apt-get purge shared-mime-info rhythmbox". Enter your password when it is requested.
        (c) Report the results back here.

Comment

i can't open the konsole anymore. i'm gonna reinstall.

Comment

Working...
          X