X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Compositing-notification

Yet another hopeless Newbie-question:

Sometimes now and then the notifier gives a message about compositing that has been interrupted (unfortunately I don't remember the exact wording) and that I should press crtl+alt+F12.

I never found out what the reason for the notification was, and pressing ctrl+alt+F12 seems only to make the screen black for a while, and then return from where I was.

Please....any explanations....?
    Toshiba Satellite L500D-11D, AMD Turion X2, ATI Technologies Inc M92 (Radeon mobility HD4500 series), Kubuntu 10.04,

Re: Compositing-notification

This is related to your video card. Some more information may help, like:
    1. What is your video card?
    2. Do you have an xorg.conf file in /etc/X11, if so, post it here.
    3. What version of Kubuntu are you using? And KDE?

Comment

Hello again!

I have Toshiba L500D-11D laptop with a video card described as:
      ATI Technologies Inc M92 (Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series)
      I'm sorry I'm not an expert concerning hardware at all....... I hope this information is sufficient? Otherwise: How do I find out more details?

I have a file in /etc/X11 with name "xorg.conf.failsafe" with the following content:
      Section "Device"
      Identifier "Configured Video Device"
      Driver "fbdev"
      EndSection

Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "Configured Monitor"
      EndSection

Section "Screen"
      Identifier "Default Screen"
      Monitor "Configured Monitor"
      Device "Configured Video Device"
      EndSection

I am using Kubuntu 10.04 with the KDE version that is coming with is (downloaded April 30th 2010 from kubuntu.org).
      Thus I think it's KDE 4.4.

Thanks in advance!
      Toshiba Satellite L500D-11D, AMD Turion X2, ATI Technologies Inc M92 (Radeon mobility HD4500 series), Kubuntu 10.04,

Comment

Hi,

It looks like the culprit is with your xorg.conf file. While you have an ATI card, your device section loads the fbdev driver which is a non-accelrated driver and your card should allow compositing.

The xserver in 10.04 can auto detect devices without needing the xorg.conf file and it will probably work better for you without it. Instead of deleting it just rename it so if something does go wrong you can always restore it. Open konsole and type the following:
        Code:
        sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
        Which will rename the file, and reboot your computer.
        If you have any issues after this reboot (like monitor not displaying anything or going into text mode) you can just rename the file back to xorg.conf and reboot.

After logging in go to System Settings -> Desktop and check "Enable desktop effects" and then go to the Advanced tab and check "Disable functionality checks", go again to the General tab and check "Enable..." again and then Apply. If all goes well compositing will work for you.

There is a problem with ATI cards which causes KDE to disable compositing when you log in, hence disabling functionality check.

Comment

Working...
        X