This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a little help for a newbie...

first of all i want to thank the kubuntu developers for bringing such a wonderful and nice os
    i'll cut straight to the chase: i want to switch entirely to kubuntu but first i have some questions to be answered...

1. i'm a windows user and have been for the past 7 years or so...and the normal thing i have to ask is if my primary disk (equivalent to C: - in windows) is full can i install software and/or games on an alternative partition (equivalent of D:, E: etc - on windows)?

2. if there's a windows executable the icon i see is a "gear" and if i make a desktop link to it it has the same icon. so my question is....can kubuntu be configured in such a way that it displays the icons correctly as if they were under windows ?

3. i'm not into gaming alot but the only game i really do play is world of warcraft and i understand that it can be safely run under wine but i have no experience at all with configuring wine

4. i use yahoo! messenger on a daily basis and last time i checked kopete only displays the address of my friends not their full names, and yes the option with displaying their names is enabled (i don't want other alternatives to kopete such as pidgin). is there another setting that i'm forgetting, or even better does the latest version of yahoo! messenger run under wine ?

Re: a little help for a newbie...

The best way to answer your questions, is to suggest that you download and burn a LiveCD of the version of Kubuntu you want to try. Some would say to jump straight into Kubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) which went 'live' yesterday. But, I would suggest starting with Kubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala). Then just boot into the LiveCD and give it a test. Check out things. Note what works 'out of the box' and what doesn't. Then, draw up a list of your rig - what it is, and what it's comprised of, and post your specific questions. If however, everything you try does 'work out of the box' then you can think about how you want to install - inside of Windows (Wubi install), along side of Windows (dual-boot), or replacement OS (wipe out Windows).
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Better yet, don't use a LiveCD, use a live flash drive That way you can actually save stuff (like Wine, test it out a bit).

I would assume you can install stuff on a different partition, but honestly, I've never tried. This would be the one thing that might be easier done in Windows, since the package manager always installs to the default partition. I would probably just expand the partition if I were you, GParted works nice.

I know there's definitely a way to link icons, probably as easy as right click and "make link." There was a recent thread I saw dealing with this, so it exists.

Wine is easy to configure... just install it from the package manager. If you ever need any help, go to winehq.org and go to the app database. Search for whatever you need and it tells you how well it works and what tweaks you might need to do. World of Warcraft, as it says here, the only issue is needing to change a sound setting. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=18555

Yahoo messenger is the opposite of that, consistently getting garbage ratings on wine But try Kopete. Worst case scenario, it allows you to "rename" someone, so that if it shows up as whatever34, you can rename them to "John Smith." Hope this helps!

Comment

Your questions:
        (1) Yes, but it's probably not the best way to go. I would suggest moving your /home/<yourname> directory tree to a separate partition while keeping your /bin/... tree on your primary linux partition (one of the three or four things called "root"). In the long run, it will make your life much easier. You can probably move /var/..., and /etc/... as well, but I would leave /bin/, /usr/, and all the /lib/ stuff on the "root" partition.
        (2) Sorry, I haven't used windoze in so long, I have no idea what your talking about. But, if I do understand your question, the answer is "yes, you can put application launchers on the desktop. Just drag and drop.
        (3) I believe that there is a Q&A page at the wine website. WOW is a very popular game so I'm virtually certain that you are not the first person to want to use it under Linux. However, my general advice is to render unto Caesar.., in other words, run windoze games in windoze.
        (4) Sorry, I don't use Yahoo messenger, but I'd suggest trying the renaming suggested above.

Comment

you didn't understand my question regarding to the icons...i was asking if i can make the icons look like in windows (see attached files)
          Attached Files

Comment

help me with some questions

hello forum i was wondering:
            1. how do i change in kubuntu lucid the theme. i used karmic and all i had to do is right click on the desktop and the customize(or something like it) and then i had to press the "get new themes" button...i tried to do the same with lucid and it seems like that option is gone
            2. can i still put a different wallpaper on all the desktops, and if so, how ?
            3. what is the best desktop recording program for kubuntu ?

Comment

Yes, you can. But you have to have the actual icon file on your system some where. Not all Windows icons exist separately - sometimes they are embedded within the executable file itself.

Assuming that you have actual icon files, you change the icon for the program by editing the K Menu entry, clicking on the icon and navigating to where you have the icon you want to use.
              Attached Files
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

can i still put a different wallpaper on all the desktops, and if so, how ?
                Right click on the desktop (or the cashew in the upper right corner) and choose "desktop activity settings". Personally, I have different background images and widgets on each of my desktops.

Comment

Re: help me with some questions

Originally posted by psorincatalin
                  1. how do i change in kubuntu lucid the theme. i used karmic and all i had to do is right click on the desktop and the customize(or something like it) and then i had to press the "get new themes" button...i tried to do the same with lucid and it seems like that option is gone
                  In lucid the option is now in kmenu/system settings/advanced/desktop theme details. This is a far more advanced function allowing you to change individual theme items.

Comment

3. what is the best desktop recording program for kubuntu ?
                    recordmydesktop seems to be well regarded

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                      In lucid the option is now in kmenu/system settings/advanced/desktop theme details. This is a far more advanced function allowing you to change individual theme items.
                      That module is for customizing theme elements, if you want to simply download/switch themes, go to SystemSettings>Appearance>Style>Workspace-tab

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                        can i still put a different wallpaper on all the desktops, and if so, how ?
                        Right click on the desktop (or the cashew in the upper right corner) and choose "desktop activity settings". Personally, I have different background images and widgets on each of my desktops.
                        how do i put different widgets on each of the desktops ? i also want to know if i can have different links to my programs on each desktop

Comment

See this page

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                            this no longer apply to kubuntu lucid

Comment

I'm at a windows box right now but I think you will find it in kmenu/system settings/desktop/virtual desktops.

Comment

Working...
                              X