installation took a while

rebooted when instructed and was presentedwitha choice of xp or kubuntu

I presses return and got a command line running under Grub

like this

I get this

GNU Grub version 1.97 Beta 4

and

sh: grub>

what I am I doing wrong and how do I get from here into the GUI?

What release of Kubuntu you are using. 9.1
    If Kubuntu is installed, is it installed 'inside' of Windows (Wubi installation).wubi installation
    What version of KDE you are using.?
    What version of Grub you are using.?
    What other Operating Systems are installed.XP hpme

Information about your PC:

Type (Desktop or laptop)desk top
    CPU (Central Processor Unit) make (Intel, AMD, ?) and whether 32-bit, 64-bit, or ?
    GPU (Graphics Processor Unit) manufacturer and model ati raaedon 1600
    RAM (how much installed) 3gb
    HDs (number of and type internal - number of and type external) 3 1 internal and a minimum of 2 externals
    Optical Drives (number of and type internal - number of and type external) 1internal dvd

Re: help a newbie

My suspicion (I'm not certain) would be that your external drive has not been mounted yet at boot time. Hence, Grub can't find it. If that is the case, the obvious solutions are to: either continue to run Wubi under windoze until you are ready to install Linux to your internal drive, or take the plunge and make room for Kubuntu on your internal drive.

Comment

Re: help a newbie

Early in the installation onto your external drive, where you MANUALLY select the partition(s) to install on, if you go to "Advanced", I THINK it has an option to install the boot loader (Grub) on the external drive. Then you can boot from the external drive (using the BIOS to boot from it). I'm not positive about this, I haven't done it.

Comment

Working...
      X