Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First participation. Migrating to Kubuntu. Help.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First participation. Migrating to Kubuntu. Help.

Hello everyone!!
    I'm Josep. It's my first participation in this forum and I want to introduce myself. Since I was young, youngest - I'm 45 years old - I worked with all kind of computers, since DOS until Windows Vista and twice or 3 times I have installed different linux distributions and the experience with linux (suse, kubuntu) was quite good, except a few situations. The last I remember is I had some problems with the wireless connection. I don't know and I don't find information about what technical requirements has this distro. The main "problem" is know if the wireless connection is recognized quickly for lucidlynx or is compulsory install differents parameters for achieve that wireless connection work.
    If someone has information or diferent webpages for obtaining information I appreciate this help.

Thank you very much

Josep

Re: First participation. Migrating to Kubuntu. Help.

Hi Josep,

welcome

So your wlan is not working. Which wlan card have you got? Can you post the output of lspci, please?
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Hi Josep!
      Welcome to Kubuntu.

First, let's see if your wireless chip is recognized. After you've downloaded a LiveCD iso, and tested its md5sum, and burned the iso onto a CD, boot with it. Take the second (?) option, which checks your CD for errors. If it comes back saying the CD is good, then continue on with the first option -- booting into the LiveCD.

Once the KDE4 desktop is up, notice the icons in the system tray, that small section of panel in the lower right side of the the bottom panel. One of the icons looks like two black TV sets (icon for KNetworkManager), one just behind the other. Click on it with your left mouse button. It will bring up the connection dialog and scan for available wireless access points. IF you see any wireless access points, especially your own, then your wireless is working. Check your access point and mark it to start on boot up. Then click the "Connection" button. You will be asked for a password, if you set one up. Enter it and click OK. Your connection should be established shortly. When you get a connection close that dialog.

IF you don't see your access point, or the dialog says that no wireless device was found, then you have another option. Close the dialog. KGear --> System --> Hardware drivers. It will search for hardware not recognized during boot and try to configure it with the appropriate drivers. If it is successful then you can re-try the wireless connection dialog. If it is not then you'll have to take the hard road...

The hard road: Connect a small section of cat5 ethernet cable from a port on the back of your wireless router to the eth0 port of your PC. An immediate Internet connection should be automatically established Go to http://wireless.kernel.org/ and locate your wireless device. and follow the directions given there for it.

If your PC/laptop is relatively new it should allow you to use KNetworkManager to sign on to your wireless connection. If your laptop uses a legacy wireless, like BCM4312, etc., the URL I pointed to above should give you the necessary driver to download and the instructions for installing it.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hello again,
        first of all thanks a lot to GreyGeek and Toad for their answer.

In my laptop (quite new, 8 months more or less) still I have installed only a Windows Vista. My idea is do a migration in a few months because I want to be a good information about kubuntu.

My wlan card is Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter

I'll try to connect with my wlan soon. We keep in touch. Thank you very much for both

Comment

Hi Josep and welcome

There is a very useful link here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1179951

This suggests that your card can be made to work with relative ease.

I would suggest you get either a ubuntu or kubuntu live CD (aka the desktop CD) and run it without installing. This will give you an opportunity to see that everything works vefore you take the plunge

Ian

Comment

Ok. The ath9k driver has been in the kernel since 2.6.27 and support for AR9285 since 2.6.29.
            Currently,the latest kernel in Kubuntu Lucid Lynx is:
            /lib/modules/2.6.32-21-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k/ath9k.ko
            It should be enabled automatically when you boot the LiveCD. If it isn't, you can open a Konsole and issue
            sudo modprobe ath9k
            (insmod only inserts modules, it doesn't check for dependencies, etc. like modprobe)
            Then issue:
            sudo ifconfig
            to see if you see something like ath0 listed. If so, issue
            sudo iwlist ath0 scanning
            to see if you get a list of connection points. If you do fire up KNetworkManger and connect to your access point. Mark it to make the connection occur automatically at boot up. Then return to the Konsole and do
            sudo depmod -a
            When it is done close the Konsole.

If you are not successful the AR9 series chip can be configured using a newer driver and instructions on the http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k website.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Just a "dummy " comment.

As mentioned above this should work out of the box.

Just don't forget to turn on your wifi card

I forgot once and never will again.

Welcome to the party
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I second that hardware check!

Just a couple days ago, I booted up and noticed that I could not get any access points. The day before I had done an upgrade before shutting down. I had moved this notebook to another location, temporarily, and moved it back to my desktop over my lazyboy. While carrying this notebook I had rubbed the front of it against my belt and apparently one of the buckles moved my wireless switch to the off position. I was about to get up and fetch the eth cable for a wired connection to reinstall wicd when I noticed the wireless light on the front was off.

Comment

Hello again everyone!!
                  yesterday ends my kubuntu's migration and it was succesful. Now I have the "normal problems" but with patience and time I'll find the solution. Thank you very much and we keep in touch

Josep

Comment

Welcome to the club and have fun.

Any problems, you know where to ask.

Comment

Working...
                    X