X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Package Manager

I'm running 10.04 installed with wubi.

I'm new to Linux and I'm looking for a good way to get new software.

At first I was using the included KPackageKit, but I noticed that I couldn't find a lot of Linux software that I've heard of.

My friend suggested using aptitude, and it works quite well. I also tried Synaptic. Both of these seem to have a nice list of programs (from the ubuntu repository?).

I also tried Adept but the list seems very limited.

What's the best way to get new programs in Kubuntu?

Side note, something caused this problem for me, but I performed the indicated workaround.

Re: Package Manager

All of the aforementioned package managers (Kpackagekit, Aptitude, Synaptic, and Adept) and several that you haven't mentioned (e.g. apt from the command line) will provide access to ALL the packages in ALL the repositories, they know about. Most learn which repos to look at from a file called "/etc/apt/sources.list", and files in the directory /etc/apt/sources.list.d/. In order to keep this process working correctly, you have to periodically (e.g. daily, or, at most, weekly) refresh your package list. In most of the package managers, this can be achieved by clicking on a button called "reload" (or "refresh"). You should do this frequently (daily or weekly) in order to keep your system secure. Pick a package manager (I recommend Synaptic, but you'll have to install it), and learn its quirks, tricks and shortcuts from the experts at this site. In a short while, YOU will be an expert.

Comment

Well since you are new to kubuntu and the infernal Kpackagekit i reccomend just tinkering with it until you get the hang of how it works -.- ( mind you i don't like it 1 bit, upstream effort or not).

Other ways would be to just google the program you are looking for then go on the webpage and download the .deb Ubuntu pakage for the program. Make sure it is for x86 or x64 system, depending on what you have installed. I use an AMD 64 bit processor and Kubuntu Lucid x64 so i can have access to my 4Gb of ram.

You can just click or duble click the .deb and it will install itself with all dependencies just like programs in windows would.

Rant: :| if any veteran Kubuntu users are watching this then consider it an example as to why we really need to think about porting "Ubuntu Software Center" to kubuntu....-.- i wish i could code...sadly i have no time to learn. (It's a good idea, fragmentation or not...keeping Kpackagekit along side it can be done, can it not? )

Comment

Originally posted by moonscar

Rant: :| if any veteran Kubuntu users are watching this then consider it an example as to why we really need to think about porting "Ubuntu Software Center" to kubuntu....-.- i wish i could code...sadly i have no time to learn. (It's a good idea, fragmentation or not...keeping Kpackagekit along side it can be done, can it not? )
        O but you can have "Ubuntu Software Center" on you'r Kubuntu......I do.

Kubuntu IS Ubuntu with KDE window manager instaed of Gnome .....I dont prefer Kpackagekit eather and use Synaptic most of the time.....but Kpackagekit dose work....
        or the CLI

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
        X