This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knetwork manager problem

Hi I have this problem with my KNetworkmanager..I have a wired internet connection and the system automatically detects the connection and connects it (AUto eth0)..but whenever i click on it in order to manage connections nothing is shown .. there are no wired connections shown....can someone please help.. the snapshots are given here......

http://twitpic.com/1hkmj9
    http://twitpic.com/1hkmpn

(Am using Karmic 9.10)

Re: Knetwork manager problem

If you wish to use knetworkmanager, then you should remove the line auto eth0 from ifconfig

Comment

Thanks skunk.. but am not a geek (well . ..till now) would be great if you could explain how to do that and if it would effect my existing connection

Comment

Hi again

Have you got the network manager widget in your system tray?

Comment

/etc/network/interfaces
          should contain:
          auto lo
          iface lo inet loopback
          If it includes "auto eth0" then delete that line and save the file. (You will have to edit the file as root. Open a Konsole and do "kdesudo kwrite" and navigate to that file, edit it and save it.)

IF "auto eth0" isn't in that file then you've set it in the KNetworkManger configuration.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hii Liquidator! Yes I have it in my system tray

Hi Grey Geek! but will changing those settings hamper or effect my exixting connection in any way..

(sorry for too many questions .. but then as they say a Kubuntu newbie is on the prowl for knowledge(well off course I can be accused of plagiarism here))

Comment

Shouldn't hamper you connections, even if it doesn't fix them.

My suggestion is to install wicd (all four packages with "wicd" in their names), and then remove ALL of the KNetworkmanager apps (everything with "knm-" or "networkmanger" in their names. Configure wicd for your connection, then REBOOT ... the connection may not work until you reboot in order to close the old daemon and start the new one.

It used to be that you could install wicd and Synaptic would automatically do that then remove all of KNetworkManger and properly reconfigure wicd and the network with the same connection information, but it doesn't do that now. So, the need to do it manually.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I don't intend to hijack. Is KNM going to be any better in 10.04?
                Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
                Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
                Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Believe it or not, KNM is a good connection application IF your hardware is compatible with it. KNM did not connect very well on this Sony VAIO netbook but it worked perfectly on my wife's Acer Aspire 3004 Li laptop. In other words, depending on your hardware, your mileage may vary. This is because KNM is a KDE4 app and cannot connect until after the KDE4 desktop comes up. Wicd is a console app with a gui interface. It can start at boot time and is running when KDE4 comes up, so the connection is, IMO, a lot more reliable. Also, if KDE4 or the xserver crashes (which rarely happens, at least on my hardware) wicd will stay connected and one can use the CLI and apt-get to fix things.

Comment

What seems to be key, at least when I replaced KNM with Wicd, and having followed the instructions for doing so from the Wicd site, is to have a working KNM setup, one that reliabely connects once your desktop is fully loaded. In that condition, installing Wicd does what it says - removes KNM and installs Wicd, using the KNM network configuration as the basis for it's own. That's how I remember it. I read and followed their (Wicd) instructions, and I had no problem at all.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That is probably true, I had installed the various vpn packages for networkmanager, which may have interferred with the removal of the knm-runtime by wicd.

Comment

FWIW, KNM works great on my Dell INspiron 630m laptop but only after I had installed networkmanager-gnome as well. I don't think that package itself did the trick but one of the 6 or so dependencies it installed.

Comment

Working...
                        X