X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu live cd hel[p

hello all, just joined

im somewhat familiar with linux(have ubuntu on another computer) and im wanting to mess around with kubuntu a little bit to see which one i want to install on my laptop. i've downloaded the kubuntu iso. yet i don't know which file(s) i need to put onto the cd in order for it to work. im familiar with burning images and making them bootable so my only question is just what the files are that i need to put on the cd.

thanks for the help.

Re: kubuntu live cd hel[p

You don't need to put any file on the CD. Just burn the .iso file you downloaded as a CD Image (not as a data CD), and don't make it a bootable disk (the .iso is already bootable by itself). If you were the one who downloaded and burned you Ubuntu CD, then you just follow the same thing with Kubuntu.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

oh so u put all of the files onto the cd and burn as an image? then restart and go to the boot menu and select cd?

Comment

From where you be burning the CD? If you're burning from Windows XP, the process is like this.

1. Download the .ISO file
        2. Open up NERO (Roxio, XP's built in CD burning app doesn't burn CD images)
        3. One of the choices that you can pick (together with Burn a Data CD, Burn an Audio CD, etc), is Burn a CD image, or something like that (can't remember the exact words).
        4. When you reach the part where the program will ask you for the CD image to burn, look for the .ISO you downloaded
        5. Burn away.

So basically, you don't put anything in the CD. You don't put the .ISO file into the CD directly (that would be equal to Burn a Data CD). But you burn the .ISO as a CD image.

Once you're done, you will see that the CD now contains different directories, files, etc.

Good luck!
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

i swear ive done everything you've said but it still wont work at all. i take all the files and put them on the cd

i went to nero and did as an image but it just saves the image to my hard drive and puts nothing on the cd

Comment

I find Nero both confusing and bloated.

Go to webattack.com and search for the freeware program DeepBurner (not pro version) and install it.

Stick CD in drive, launch DeepBurner, and choose the *last* option in the pop up window which is to *burn* the iso image.

Restart computer with CD in drive making sure, in bios, your computer's boot sequence is set to boot from CD before booting to hard drive.

Comment

This walks you through the entire process (with screenshots):
              http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/iso.html
              Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

thank you so much! thats exactly what ive been looking for.

Comment

Thanks aysiu. I think I overlooked that part of your guides. You saved me the time and effort of taking screenshots.

But I probably will still get those screenshots. Planning to make a Burning .ISO guide in the future.
                  Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Working...
                  X