This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Detecting Wireless Signals

I'm unable to get wireless internet to work my friend's laptop with Kubuntu 9.10. I'm unable to get it to detect any wireless signals so I can pick one. I'm guessing that I need to install a driver for it, but I don't know how to find the driver. I'm not even sure how to figure out what wireless card she has.

Re: Detecting Wireless Signals

Click on KGear menu --> System --> Hardware Drivers.

If that fails to locate and install a driver for the wireless chip then open a konsole and issue:

lspci | grep controller

and paste the results in your next reply. Also, include the make and model of the PC.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

00:11.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
      00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 LPC host controller
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3650
      08:00.2 SD Host controller: JMicron Technology Corp. Standard SD Host Controller
      09:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
      0a:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)

Comment

Btw, if Kubuntu 10.04 will add support for it through the "Hardware Drivers" application in Kickoff, just let me know and I'll just have her wait until the new release comes out in a week or so.

Comment

You don't need to wait. Just install the "hostapd" package. It may be that everything thereafter will happen automagically upon a reboot. If not Google(Linux) for "madwifi".

Comment

Thanks! That did the trick!

Comment

Working...
            X