This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New software/program accessibility

Hii!I have Karmic Kubuntu running on my system.. Whenever I install some software using either synaptic or ubuntu software center.. I find that I cant see those softwares anywhere on my K menu ,nor is it accesible through the run thing(Alt+f2).. However once I logout and login again, the newly installed software is available in the k menu.. Am i doing something wrong.. however it is a real trouble to logout and login after installing every software . Please help!

Re: New software/program accessibility

I don't think it is necessary to logout and back in again. Wait for the installation to complete (give it a few extra seconds for good measure) then hit the kmenu button and start typing the program name in the box at the top of the pop-up pane.

Comment

no liquidator.. done it many times.. that does not work

Comment

If you upgrade the kde desktop than you need to logout and back in again to run the new version. If you install a new kernel then it stands to reason you need to reboot. For an ordinary application you should not need to do either of these things.

Just a thought, what version of KDE are you running?

Comment

That is exactly what I too believe Liquidator... Just consider after installing every software , you have to logout and login again.. but yes i found out something here.. that it applies to any gnome application .. KDE apps are shown almost immediately.. but then wine...and other apps that run on wine also require me to logout and login

I am using KDE 4.4.2

Comment

I can understand it from the point of view of windows applications as well given the need to reboot in their native environment. However, remember that the wine server will not immediately close after you shut down the running windows application. You can see this for yourself by launching a windows application and then closing it. Wait a few seconds and then reload it. You will find it loads much quicker that time, signifying that the wine server is still running. So if to install a program needs a windows reboot you need to do the same, or leave things alone for a while so that the server shuts itself down then you can run the program.

I can see why gnome applications might not instantly make themselves known to KDE after install. Have you tried launching them from the terminal?

Comment

I have tried launching gnome apps from the terminal .. no they dont work!

Comment

Then I confess to having no clue as to how you might get around the issue... sorry

Comment

Not a problem...Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by vivek40
                    I have tried launching gnome apps from the terminal .. no they dont work!
                    A little more detail might be useful here -- "don't work" is not enough. When you launch a package in the Konsole, if it fails there is normally an error output. If you can copy and paste the error output, it might help understand what the problem is.

Comment

Working...
                    X