X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QT

hi all.

im very new to the world of linux. im having a bit of trouble with a program called qt creator. all i want to do is compile some c++ programs, but it isnt having it.
    it keeps asking for the qt version. ive followed the instructions on other posts, which told me to install packages such as Libqt4-dev. when i try that the package installer says there is problems with dependent files. i tried it manually. eventually it asked for a file, which i found, but when i went to install it it said that i already have a higher version installed. i dont know what jaunty and karmic means. all i know is i downloaded kubuntu less than 6 months ago, and its fully updated.

to be honest im that frustrated ive practacly given up with qt. i just want to write C++ programs without having to resort to windows.

is there a single file that can be downloaded that will do all this for me without me having to download five million other files from 10 million different pages, or having to sive through a list of stuff that means nothing to me. or is there a list of exactly what i need to start programming in C++?
    cheers.

p.s how do i get rid of all the crap ive put on trying to get qt to work?

Re: QT

i use qt-creator reguarlly, i have never installed it from the repos i get the .bin file from their webpage and install that one.. and play w/ it from there
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Can you tell us how you tried to install qt-creator? Did you get it from a website or did you use a package manager to install it from the repository?

Comment

i did it through the repository i think, i used the package manager.

Comment

The qtcreator you install from the repository will be the framework 1.3.1 version, built using the Qt4 4.6.2 API.

The qtcreator you install from the website will be the 1.3.18 version, built using the Qt4 4.7.2 API.

You can install EITHER the Qt4 SDK or the Qt Framework only. The SDK version will install both the GUI RAD AND the complete Qt4 API, usually in the home account subdirectory where you designate. This keeps the Kubuntu system Qt4 library (and/or repository QtCreator) separate from the SDK Qt4 library and tools. The framework only supplies the Qt4-Designer, Qt4-Linguist and Qt4-Assistant. For example: the repository Qt4-designer is installed at:
          /usr/bin/designer-qt4

but the SDK installation puts it here:
          ~/qtcreator-1.3.81/bin/designer (or, where ever you designate)

If you install the frame work you have to make sure the Qt4 development library is already installed. That is why those who install QtCreator from the repository also make sure they install as many of the *qt4* files as they need. Exactly how many they install depends upon their need. Needless to say, there are NOT 5 million files required. For example, do you plan on creating Qt4 apps that need to talk to a PostgreSQL database backend? Then be sure to install libqt4-sql-psql and/or libpg-java. odbc-postgresql wouldn't hurt, either. In addition, install qgt4-dev-tools, qt4-doc, qt4-qmake, qt4-demos and qt4-qtconfig. The qt4-demos give you plenty of example source and compiled executables so you can explore code that fully utilizes features of Qt4.

Also, before you install Qtcreator, make sure you have gdb, cmake and gcc-4.4 installed. (/usr/bin/gcc is a link to /usr/bin/gcc-4.4) That way, QtCreator can find them when you install it. (Not that they won't if you install them later? I can't say because I never install those tools after I install QtCreator.)

IF you want the "All-in-one" package the you need to install the appropriate SDK package, 32 bit or 64 bit version. Before you do that it wouldn't hurt to clean up your mess. To make sure you don't have partially installed packages, or broken dependencies, open a Konsole and issue

sudo apt-get -f install

then

sudo apt-get autoremove

Then, use Synaptic to "completely remove" qtcreator.

After that download the sdk binary you want to use. Then, using Dolphin, right mouse on it, chose "Properties" and mark it executable. Close Dolphin. Open a Konsole, navigate to where you downloaded the binary and issue

./qt-sdk-linux-x86_64-opensource-2010.02.bin

(assuming your box is 64 bit.)

Make sure you've installed cmake, gdb and gcc-4.4 installed.

After that, browse the demos and examples. Also, there are some great QtCreator videos. Just google for "youtube qtcreator" and set your time span to one month for the latest videos. Here is an example.
          http://www.in.com/videos/watchvideo-...n-4698287.html

For help using Qt4 register at this forum: http://www.qtcentre.org/content/

P.S. -- If you think KubuntuForum's registration capcha is tough, wait to you register at QtCentre.org!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by spookytris
            I dont know what jaunty and karmic means. all i know is i downloaded kubuntu less than 6 months ago, and its fully updated.
            to find version info paste this into a terminal window.
            Code:
            lsb_release -a
            to be honest im that frustrated ive practacly given up with qt. i just want to write C++ programs without having to resort to windows.
            a lot of us have been in this same situation. try to appreciate that you are in a totally different world and it is going to take some time for you to get comfortable. It is hard starting out but you won't be disappointed if you stick with it!.

is there a single file that can be downloaded that will do all this for me without me having to download five million other files from 10 million different pages, or having to sive through a list of stuff that means nothing to me. or is there a list of exactly what i need to start programming in C++?
            cheers.
            you can do this in the terminal and I think it will give you most of what you need from the repos.
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install qt-sdk
            if you do the sdk download from the website make sure to set qt creator options to know where the qt library is.

p.s how do i get rid of all the crap ive put on trying to get qt to work?
            I would suggest just leaving them unless you think you have broken packages or you know what you are doing. You can check your package by pasting this into the terminal. If nothing comes back you are good.
            Code:
            sudo dpkg --audit
            FKA: tanderson

Comment

qt-sdk now in the repository!

Wasn't there the last time I looked. Thanks for the heads up. BTW, the properties dialog doesn't show the version. Do you know what it is?

It will be easier for spookytris to install qt-sdk from the repository than from the website. He'll still need to install cmake and gdb, too.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                BTW, the properties dialog doesn't show the version. Do you know what it is?
                I guess not. there doesn't appear to be a version for the sdk. You might have to get the info from each package? Nokia sdk download only comes with a date and not a version number. Maybe that has something to do with it?
                Code:
                $ apt-cache showpkg qt-sdk
                Package: qt-sdk
                Versions:
                0ubuntu1 (/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_karmic_universe_binary-i386_Packages)
                 Description Language:
                         File: /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_karmic_universe_binary-i386_Packages
                         MD5: 5339f6c1be4d1f39cd49f552151043c6

Reverse Depends:
                Dependencies:
                0ubuntu1 - libqt4-dev (0 (null)) libqt4-opengl-dev (0 (null)) libqt4-phonon-dev (0 (null)) qt4-doc (0 (null)) qt4-doc-html (0 (null)) qt4-dev-tools (0 (null)) qt4-designer (0 (null)) 
                qt4-qmake (0 (null)) qtcreator (0 (null)) qtcreator-doc (0 (null)) subversion (0 (null)) git-core (0 (null)) cmake (0 (null)) 
                gdb (0 (null)) build-essential (0 (null)) libqt4-dbg (0 (null)) libqt4-webkit-dbg (0 (null)) libqt4-dev-dbg (0 (null)) libqt4-xmlpatterns-dbg (0 (null))
                Provides:
                0ubuntu1 -
                Reverse Provides:
                He'll still need to install cmake and gdb, too.
                are you sure? Look at the ouput from above. Won't they come too? If not, why?

Comment

Originally posted by tanderson
                  are you sure? Look at the ouput from above. Won't they come too? If not, why?
                  Yes. cmake is not qmake, and gdb is not a part of QtCreator - Framework only, or the QtCreator SDK. QtCreator creates a GUI interface to gdb. Reverse dependencies show dependencies, which are not necessarily components of the package.

Comment

Reverse dependencies show dependencies, which are not necessarily components of the package.
                    the output from above has nothing for reverse depends. The package list is for dependencies. Look at this output.

Code:
                    $ apt-cache depends qt-sdk
                    qt-sdk
                     Depends: libqt4-dev
                     Depends: libqt4-opengl-dev
                     Depends: libqt4-phonon-dev
                     Depends: qt4-doc
                     Depends: qt4-doc-html
                     Depends: qt4-dev-tools
                     Depends: qt4-designer
                     Depends: qt4-qmake
                     Depends: qtcreator
                     Depends: qtcreator-doc
                     Depends: subversion
                     Depends: git-core
                     Depends: cmake
                     Depends: gdb
                     Depends: build-essential
                     Suggests: libqt4-dbg
                     Suggests: libqt4-webkit-dbg
                     Suggests: libqt4-dev-dbg
                     Suggests: libqt4-xmlpatterns-dbg

Comment

Check your installtion... did installing the sdk pull in gdb? If so then all is well. I know that installing qtcreator from the repository does not install cmake or gdb.

Comment

the point I am trying to make is that if you install qt-sdk from the repository then you don't need to install cmake or gdb because they come with.

Comment

wow, loads of responces. cheers for the help guys. i went for the website version in the end. im half way through putting it on. ive just finished making the file, im just getting my head round installing now. it reminds me of when i used to use dos.

i might have another go at getting the dependent files when im next able to hook my computer to the internet. (its damned frustrating using library computers).

cheers for the list of package/dependent files, that will make life easyer. i stumbed apon what verson of kubuntu im using the other day, its karmic.

again, cheers for the help, im looking forward to getting into linux and seeing what it can do.

Comment

Originally posted by tanderson
                            the point I am trying to make is that if you install qt-sdk from the repository then you don't need to install cmake or gdb because they come with.
                            I understand your point, and agree, but that doesn't apply to the "Framework" only version. Since he had tried several methods of installing QtCreator and had lots of "crap" on his HD, I just wanted to caution him to be sure he has inlcuded the cmake and gdb utilities. I should have also cautioned him to be sure he has installed g++-4.4 as well, even if gcc is preinstalled, because my QtCreator installation failed to compile with gcc but did with g++, even though they appear to be the same.

Comment

I agreed with everything you posted except.
                              It will be easier for spookytris to install qt-sdk from the repository than from the website. He'll still need to install cmake and gdb, too.
                              and in the spirit of forum correctness and/or my education I was trying clear this up. I apologize, if I didn't make this clear before.

Comment

Working...
                              X