This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems using Live CD on Dell Laptop

Hi, my son is attempting to use the Kubunt 9.10 live CD on his Dell Inspiron 1100. It's the same live CD that I used on my Laptop so I know it's ok

However, it gets to selecting language OK and then just hangs with a blank screen - endlessly I had trouble getting the CD out as the drive had locked up too In the end I switched the machine off and then waited, switched on and then quickly opened the CD drive and removed the Live CD before it could lock again

On booting up it went to a new screen asking to boot from Windows Xp or Kubuntu ?? Booted OK to XP

anyone have any Ideas? I have searched the forums for the last 2 hours and am no wiser.

any answers please keep it VERY SIMPLE as I'm no computer expert

Thanks in advance
    Paula

Lenovo Thinkpad x230 Core i5vpro, 4G Ram, 320G HDD, Intel HD 4000.
    Running clean install of KUBUNTU 20.04 after years of running Ubuntu 18.04 then a week running Sabayon.
    Running clean install of KUBUNTU 18.04 after a couple of months running ArchLinux Manjaro

Re: Problems using Live CD on Dell Laptop

Its a video problem because the Dell uses an "unusual" video card. The CD looks as though it sticks in the CD-Rom because it does work - it does "mount"- there is only no picture.

Have a look at this post for a fix, particularly the message by skselby - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=807351
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

when I say the cd stuck in the drive, I couldn't get it out, pressed the eject button but nothing happened The drive seemed to be cycling too

will have a look at the other thread thanks

OK have read the other thread and all of the answers rely on being able to do something with the computer, this isn't possible - it won't DO anything

any ideas?
      Running clean install of KUBUNTU 20.04 after years of running Ubuntu 18.04 then a week running Sabayon.
      Running clean install of KUBUNTU 18.04 after a couple of months running ArchLinux Manjaro

Comment

The issue is with the video card/GPU in the laptop. When you reboot the laptop with the LiveCD in the drive, you are presented with the initial menu. On this menu you have the option to 'try it out' without installing, and to install. At the bottom of the menu are instructions involving pressing function keys. IIRC, one of them is for using safe graphics (VESA) when booting. That's the option you want to go with. Screen resolution won't be great, and you won't have 3D desktop effects (initially), but will/should permit you to boot fully to the desktop (if you are trying out the LiveCD first), or to continue with installation if that's what you want to do directly from the initial menu.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry Snowhog, maybe I wasn't clear enough?

The screen goes blank after English is selected, nothing else happens - apart from the disk being stuck in the drive and the drive sounding like it's on a loop no selection screen

wondering if DS did something he hasn't mentioned

Comment

Selecting a language is well after the initial boot screen you see when first booting from a LiveCD. What I'm referring to is the initial boot menu screen:
            Attached Files
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Will have to check that, but don't remember seeing it on his computer

I recognise it from when the CD was used on my Laptop tho

will have to get back on this, but brain is frazzled right now after a day of trying to solve other PC/MP3 problems

forgot to say Thank You

Thank You, will have another go tomorrow

Comment

Working...
              X