This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing

Is KPackageKit the only way to install new software ? I'm trying to find Kile/KBibtex...

Re: Installing

The only way? No. You can use apt-get install package from the console (CLI). But if you prefer a GUI package manager (which Kpackagekit is trying to be), then install Synaptic. Open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    You will find it, once installed, in K > Applications > System > Synaptic
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I agree, that Synaptic is the best, especially for searching packages, but there are more ways to install a new software. I tried aptitude recently, it is at once CLI and GUI and it is already installed. It has one nice feature over Synaptic, when you install something, it remembers installed dependencies and can uninstall them in one step.
      Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

I'm a Lyx user, myself, so I have no direct experience with Kile; but the packages you want are "kile", "kile-doc", and "kbibtex". Be sure to install ALL the "recommended" packages for "kile" and the "suggested" packages that seem useful to you. Remember, in the parlance of Debian-based distros like Kubuntu, "depends" means "won't install properly without", "recommended" means "won't do anything at all without", and suggested generally means "you need at least one of these to do anything useful".

You could install them from the command line with apt-get, and you should be able to get them with kpackagekit. I strongly recommend following Snowhog's advice to try Synaptic. Personally, I've had bad experiences with the Aptitude user interface, but you may like it. Please let's not start another package manager flamewar.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          The only way? No. You can use apt-get install package from the console (CLI). But if you prefer a GUI package manager (which Kpackagekit is trying to be), then install Synaptic. Open a console and type:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update
          You will find it, once installed, in K > Applications > System > Synaptic
          Hi Snowhog,
          I followed this and Synaptic hasn't shown up.
          I remember it as good from other distro attempts - but this attempt at setting up 9.10 Karmic has been very difficult.
          1. Sound problems. Finally working but almost no volume...
          2. Karmic Autoinstall from PCMag totalled my still-needed XP internet - still not workable

3. Trying to install WINE and getting a weird error - in KKit AND CLI:

gets almost there and fails on:
          "Cannot get the exclusive lock on the packaging backend
          Please close any other legacy packaging tools that may be open"

I haven't got anything else running. Not even sure what the install program is - its just called KpackageKit.

Also not sure how to pick the right program to download - lot of similar WINE names came up on the search.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update
            It is ok, but it is also easy to install synaptic with kpackagekit. Just type synaptic and let it search.
            Then Kile/KBibtex can be found in Synaptic.
            Or if you type kile in kpackagekit and let it search you can also get the result you need.
            Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Working...
            X