This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is Java JRE installed?

Just used KPackageKit to install the JRE. When I try to launch an app which requires Java I get an error message that 'no java virtual machine was found'.

I know that I probably need to add JAVA_PATH to my environment but I need to know where it is!

Anyone?

Re: Where is Java JRE installed?

... it's not in /usr/local and i can't find it anywhere ...

Comment

From the CLI just type: which java
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Mmm, I typed 'which java' and it returned nothing i.e. just gave a new line with my prompt.

I'm beginning to suspect that the JRE wasn't installed correctly but if I go back to KPackageKit there's no option available to 'apply' an install of the JRE, which presumably means it thinks it's installed.

Could I uninstall the JRE and then re-install it? if so, how do I use KPackageKit to uninstall? (It has an 'Add and Remove Software' label!)

Comment

Ahh. Missed that. Installing JAVA requires that you answer the EULA that pops up, and Kpackagekit doesn't do pop-ups.

Open a console and type:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install package_name
          where package_name is the name you selected from Kpackagekit.

Kpackagekit sucks. Many here don't like it, and the first thing we do is to install synaptic. From within a console, just type:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install synaptic
          You will find Synaptic a much better package manager than Kpackagekit. Synaptic handles the EULA pop-up that installing JAVA presents.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the info on Synaptic.

The problem I'm getting now is that the EULA fills the terminal window. It has <Ok> at the bottom of the page but I can't find a way to accept it. Hitting <enter> or clicking with the mouse doesn't do anything. The only way I move forward is to Quit the terminal which, of course, aborts JRE installation.

Comment

Basically, the terminal window is freezing, showing the first couple of paragraphs of the EULA and the window will not scroll down either using the scroll bar on the right side of the document or using Page Down on the keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Paolo_R
                The problem I'm getting now is that the EULA fills the terminal window. It has <Ok> at the bottom of the page but I can't find a way to accept it. Hitting <enter> or clicking with the mouse doesn't do anything. The only way I move forward is to Quit the terminal which, of course, aborts JRE installation.
                You should be able to select the <ok> "button" with tab-key, and then press enter

Comment

Kubickle: brilliant, that solved the problem. Thanks.

Comment

You should now run:

Code:
                    sudo update-alternatives --config java
                    to insure that the correct java is being used, as it may be you have more than one java package installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Paolo_R
                      Thanks for the info on Synaptic.

When I install synaptic, I also install the suggested packages, so when it comes to installing java and some other software, you will get a nice GUI pop-up window instead of having to use the terminal window inside synaptic.

Comment

Detonate: I didn't get a chance to run the 'sudo update-alternatives' command. Tabbing the <yes> to accept the EULA 'freed' the previously stalled and incomplete installation.

Dtr: I did a 'sudo apt-get install synaptic', as suggested by Snowhog. Which other packages might I install to do as you say?

Comment

And some apps uses JAVA_HOME variable to find the Java installation. If that is the case, you will have to manually set the environment variable in .bashrc file in your home folder(~/.bashrc). For that, add following line to it.

Code:
                          export JAVA_HOME=/usr/bin/java
                          Then, save it and type following in the terminal
                          Code:
                          source ~/.bashrc
                          to rerun the .bashrc file.

For Java I recommend java-6-sun package rather than other implementations.

PS: change /usr/bin/java to your java installation directory if it differs.
                          --------<br />Kasun Gajasinghe,<br />University of Moratuwa,<br />Sri Lanka.<br /><br />Blog: http://kasunbg.blogspot.com<br />Twitter: http://twitter.com/kasunbg

Comment

Working...
                          X