This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skype on Live CD?

Does Kubuntu live CD or DVD have Skype available and usable without installing anything to the PC? I'd like to see if my mom's PC is capable before trashing the hard drive. It has Win98 which just cannot run stuff anymore, but don't know what the hardware may be up to or not and would like to LiceCD it before investing more into it or to see if it's really too old and we need a new machine. It does what she needs it to before, but we're setting up skype so remote family can see our coming soon baby here.

Re: Skype on Live CD?

Nope. Skype is non-free software, available (after you have installed Kubuntu) from the Medibuntu repo.

There are free video-chat packages like kopete and ekiga, but if you have to interface with folks using skype .... :P

Comment

Re: Skype on Live CD?

IF you boot the LiveCD and it gives you an internet connection you can go to the Skype download page and download either the ubuntu (32 or 64 bit, which ever is appropriate) OR, the static version, which I recommend.
      Here is the site: http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/
      You CAN download and install software will running a LiveCD because it uses part of memory as a "hard disk". Doing so won't touch the real hd.

After you download it you can add the execute permission using a Konsole & chmod, or Dolphin. Then run it to install it.
      You can test it by clicking on the blue icon in the lower left corner of the contacts panel. chose "Option". In the option panel see if it grabbed your web cam. If it did then click the "Test" button to see if the web cam turns on and shows your picture.

If you don't see your picture then use Synaptic to install cheese, which contains some libraries which seem to help some cameras work. IF cheese shows your picture, retry Skype.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X