This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE wont load, can't install new distro [SOLVED]

I installed 9.10 on my laptop, got all my hardware working, and started installing programs (VLC and Flash, etc.). Whilst installing something, it froze up. After googling for the CTRL-ALT-DEL equivalent for Linux, and failing, I did a hard reboot. Now, KDE doesn't load, I just get sent straight to the terminal. A few more hours of googling "how to load kde from terminal," and trying various things like "startx," "start kdm," "stop kdm," and I'm nowhere closer to seeing that beautiful desktop (CTRL-ALT-F7 doesn't work either).

startx yields:

fatal server error: server is already active for display 0. if this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock and start again, please consult blah blah blah. giving up. xinit: connection refused errno 111: unable to connect to X server. xinit: no such process errno 3: server error.

Alternatively, I thought I might try installing another distro of Linux (Mint, because it sounds more "user friendly"), but google again failed in being able to give me pertinent results as to how to install something from the terminal. I know I have to mount the dvd, but I don't know what it's called, or how to list the drives/partitions on the system.

Please help me get back to a GUI!

Re: KDE wont load, can't install new distro

When you arrive at the terminal prompt, try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F7
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

that doesn't work either.

Comment

Okay. Next thing is to (try) and remove the specified lock file. From the terminal, type:
        Code:
        rm /tmp/.X0-lock
        If you don't get any error - it succeeds, then:
        Code:
        startx

Comment

Worked like a charm! THANKS!!!! 8)

Comment

Happy to help.

Comment

Working...
            X