This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im a huge newbie and i need help

ok first this is the first im using and ever heard of Kubuntu. evertime i need or want to download somthing it won't let me and i cant really understand it..i WOULD LOVE SOME POINTERS!! thanks!

Re: im a huge newbie and i need help

First, welcome to the wonderful world of Linux and to KFN. Second, you aren't giving us much to go on here. :P

What version of Kubuntu did you install?
    Are you able to boot into and log in so that you see the Desktop?
    Since installing (assuming you did), have you updated the package cache? To do that, open a console. Several ways to do that, but just press Alt+F2 and type konsole

In the console type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    After you type in your password, the system will update the package cache. Once that is done, then available packages, based on the active sources you have, will be available from the package manager you are using (kpackagekit I'm assuming). kpackagekit, well, sucks - in the opinion of many here. You would be better served to install Synaptic package manager instead. You can do that while you are still in the console. Just type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    Once it is installed, it is available via the K Menu (located in Systems).

All this said, if you are really that new to Linux, don't do much more than getting used to your new Operating System. Explore the K Menu to see what is there. ASK QUESTIONS! Better to ask first, than to beg for help after you did something that caused unintended consequences.

If you have questions, ask them separately - don't ask multiple questions in a single post.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: im a huge newbie and i need help

Just in case you did not realize what the packages are that snowhog mentioned, they are programs for just about anything you want from document viewers, new widgets all the way to hardware monitors. each package does just one thing but does it very well ( lots of testing behind the scenes). Using these you can customize your Kubuntu experience as much as you like, all without paying for another software package off the shelf. As Snowhog mentioned read up and ask questions, ( apparently one question per thread is preferred).
      Other than that I welcome you to Kubuntu as a fellow noob.
      3 machines running Kubuntu9.10 still working on the dual boot and sharing a printer with win 7

Comment

Working...
      X