Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't repositories update Firefox to latest? (3.6.2)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't repositories update Firefox to latest? (3.6.2)

Kubuntu 9.10
    I am running FF 3.5.8
    I have not added or removed any repositories - they are all default.

Should I check off Unsupported updates? You would think FF would be supported.

I am new to repositories and how they are updated.

any help appreciated
    KDE neon LTS 5.12

Re: Why don't repositories update Firefox to latest? (3.6.2)

Depends on a lot of things - updates have to be compiled by volunteers and tested on damn near everything.

All the testing on Mozilla's end happens before an update is released but unless you want to compile your own browser you've pretty much gotta wait for the developers, who I imagine are spending a lot of energy on Lucid right now.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

with Ubuntu's versioning scheme, for each release, there are no new versions of software in the standard, official repositories in a vast majority of cases. Only security and bugfix versions of existing versions will be available. But there are semi-unofficial PPA repositories that provide many of the updates of this sort - Kubuntu use them to provide us with fresh versions of KDE SC, for example

Comment

I have added Mozilla's build to my repository list. It installs both FF 3.6.2 and TB 3.0.3. They both seems to be working fine on my machine. I have Kubuntu KK (9.10) with updated KDE SC 4.4.

"http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pro...a/mozilla/apt"

Comment

When my flight instructor was teaching me how to recover from spins he told me that the Cessna 172 was rated at 1 and 1/2 spins and recover should occur before that. "What if I spin more than that?", I asked. "Then you are no longer a pilot. You are a test pilot." I had visions of the wings falling off. It sharpens your concentration like nothing else!

Those who are using Kubuntu 9.10, since it has not been officially released, should realize that they are test pilots. Using that repository makes you even more of a test pilot than just using a beta release of a distro.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
            ...Those who are using Kubuntu 9.10, since it has not been officially released, should realize that they are test pilots. Using that repository makes you even more of a test pilot than just using a beta release of a distro.
            Agree somewhat, but discoveries are made by not following instructions

I normally use a beta the same way I'd use a production distribution - and if that includes adding repos or even compiling my own source those are still valid testing scenarios *if* I can document the changes.
            we see things not as they are, but as we are.
            -- anais nin

Comment

I don't object to someone wanting to be a "discoverer", but I do want them to understand what they are using and if it doesn't work out for them that they refrain from running off and posting rants complaining about their experience, like what was done by some with KDE4.

BTW, the 131 updates this morning included FireFox 3.6.2. It's running very nice. Doesn't seem like I am a test pilot using it.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Well, it seems like they already updated it to 3.6.3...
                Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek

BTW, the 131 updates this morning included FireFox 3.6.2. It's running very nice. Doesn't seem like I am a test pilot using it.
                  Are you on KK with the latest SC? I'm all up to date here (All repositories active including Backports) and FF still is at 3.5.8.

Comment

I think the GreyGeek is on 10.04 .......but I could be rong.

but hear on lucid and kde-4.4.2 the firefox is at 3.6.2

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Ubuntu Policy

> FAQ: Repositories >> UbuntuBackports:
                      Ubuntu releases a new version of its OS every 6 months. After a release, the version of all packages stays constant for the entire 6 months. For example, if Ubuntu ships with OpenOffice.org 2.0.x, it will remain at OpenOffice.org 2.0.x for the entire 6-month release cycle, even if a later version gets released during this time. The Ubuntu team may apply important security fixes to 2.0.x, but any new features or non-security bugfixes will not be made available....

Backports

This is where Ubuntu Backports comes in. The Backports team believes that the best update policy is a mix of Ubuntu's security-only policy AND providing new versions of some programs. Candidates for version updates are primarily desktop applications, such as your web browser, word processor, IRC client, or IM client. These programs can be updated without replacing a large part of the operating system that would affect stability of the whole system...

How to request new packages

When you need a package backported which is not currently available, create a new bug report in the Backports Product of Launchpad:...

> Bugs in Karmic Koala Backports
                      > Bug #515304: Please backport Firefox 3.6

Firefox

(> FAQ: Firefox - Last Edit: June 18, 2008,a bit obsolete)

You can install (and upgrade) the Firefox from

1) Repositories

2a) Ubuntuzilla

2b) Mozilla

3) Ubuntu Personal Package Archives (PPA)

From the repository

Updates are through the Ubuntu repositories, not from the Mozilla.
                      Firefox is/will be integradeted to the desktop.

Non repository

Updates are directly from the Mozilla. Firefox has a built in auto/manual-updater...
                      You do the integration yourself > Topic: Nice KDE/Firefox integration on openSUSE

[img width=273 height=400]http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/2747/22898059.png[/img]

Quotes (from the past)

> Topic: Firefox 3.5
                      > Re: Firefox 3.5
                      > Firefox 3.5 by default:
                      Mozilla let us use their otherwise restricted branding by default through a trademark agreement, in exchange for a guarantee of preserving their product quality. The fact that you see a Firefox logo in the default Ubuntu installation means that the Ubuntu Mozilla Team is dedicated to preserving that quality; had they failed at that in any considerable scale, Mozilla could have requested its withdrawal in the first place, rather than engaging in subtle strategic maneuvers of the sort you imply.

The fact that you don't and won't see official Firefox branding for 3.5 in Jaunty has to do with this too (as well as our own branding policy): we only have enough workforce to maintain 3.5 as a preview / testing package in Universe. The kind of work that would be required to maintain 3.5, along with all its dependencies, which affect not just Firefox but many other applications as well in Jaunty, while satisfying Mozilla's quality requirement as well, would be huge, and even if other concerns such as not changing default top level UI elements through stable release updates were sorted out somehow, it would be completely unrealistic to assume we could undertake it.
                      > kubuntu-devel
                      > little list of proposals by kubuntu italian user:
                      > 12) firefox: Firefox is, now, one of the most know open source
                      > software. It runs on Gnu/linux and Windows. Kubuntu doesn't install it
                      > by default. It's the first program that most number of users install
                      > after the first installation of Kubuntu. The firefox-installer is good but
                      > it seems a patch for a problem. Firefox isn't integrated in Kubuntu
                      > with a normal installation and is not integrated in KDE like Opensuse.
                      > It would be a really good idea if when user installs Firefox it becomes
                      > the default browser in his system instead of Konqueror.

Mozilla will not allow us to have the KDE integration patches in our Firefox
                      and still call it Firefox. Instead we'd like to have a working KDE browser.
                      We realise that Konqueror is not exactly great at rendering many websites and
                      have explored Arora as an alternative. Arora was not included in Karmic
                      though it was considered. I think we're hoping that Rekonq will pan out.
                      With the Lucid > LucidLynx Beta1 Kubuntu:
                      KDE integration for Firefox

Firefox now integrates better with KDE, providing native KDE file dialogs as well as respecting your default choices for opening files, as set in KDE.
                      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

So I take it others have done one of these options and that is why I'm still @ 3.5.8. OK. I'll try the PPA.

Comment

True, I AM on KLL (10.4). This morning, after the updates, I am now running FireFox 3.6.3.

Comment

Tried the PPA that was suggested. All in all things appear OK except one Extensions doesn't work, but no biggie there.

Comment

Working...
                            X