This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can i stop skype from starting automatically at log in

phew - i've made it - i've finally got on to these forums after several failed attempts at the geography and algebra test to check I'm not a 'bot' (or someone who is useless at algebra or geography ) when registering. There's my rant out of the way.

I've installed Skype and it works great, but autostarts whenever I log in. How can I stop it doing this? I've looked in system settings>advanced>autostart but it doesn't seem to have a reference there.

Re: can i stop skype from starting automatically at log in

You should have tried searching the Skype forum...

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=66946

Unless you're asking how to prevent it from running at login, in which case I didn't find anything myself.

Comment

Strange. I just installed it myself this morning and it doesn't run unless I start it.

Where did you get the package? I downloaded mine from skype.
      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
      -- anais nin

Comment

Perhaps his kde session is starting it. Try systemsettings - advanced - session manager and see what you've got there.
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Good catch. I always start with an empty session.
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

if it was running when you leave/logout/shutdown it will restart agin when you come back/login as most other things as well.

so try shuting it down first (rite click the icon in the system tray and click close) and see if it restarts agin at reboot/login

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

IF you see a little green oval with a white check mark in it, in the system tray, it means the Skype is running and available. Click on it and your contact list appears, Click on it again and your contact list disappears. IF you log out with the green oval still in the system tray it will reload itself when you boot back up. If you do not want it running when you boot up then always make sure than you right mouse on the green oval and choose "Quit". When the green oval disappears from the system tray it will not return when you reboot. (Unless you have Skype set in the "System Tray Settings" to be invisible or on auto hide).

IF Skype is invisible in the system tray and you start a second copy it will appear as a GREY oval in the system tray and further more, you won't be able to get video going, only voice or chat. If you see a grey oval in the system tray it means either that you have more than one copy of Skype running or you have your Skype status set as "offline" even when you are not off line.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks all

I found that I had session setting set to restore previous session and not an empty one, as a few of you guessed.

I've now set it to empty session and all is well.

Comment

jonobe, glad you got it sorted. Could you mark this topic as solved, please. Instructions are in my signature - thanks.
                  Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
                  X