This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error installing Ubuntu desktop on Kubuntu 9.10

I want to try Ubuntu's desktop so that at boot up I can choose between them. (one OS, two desktop choices)

I was following this simple guide: http://www.watchingthenet.com/switch...r-kubuntu.html

Here is the result:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    Reading package lists... Done           
    Building dependency tree              
    Reading state information... Done         
    You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:       
     sun-java6-jre: Depends: sun-java6-bin (= 6-15-1) but it is not going to be installed or
                 ia32-sun-java6-bin (= 6-15-1) but it is not installable    
             Recommends: gsfonts-x11 but it is not going to be installed       
     ubuntu-desktop: Depends: alacarte but it is not going to be installed         
             Depends: checkbox-gtk but it is not going to be installed       
             Depends: dcraw but it is not going to be installed           
             Depends: desktop-file-utils but it is not going to be installed    
             Depends: doc-base but it is not going to be installed         
             Depends: eog but it is not going to be installed            
             Depends: evince but it is not going to be installed          
             Depends: file-roller but it is not going to be installed        
             Depends: gcalctool but it is not going to be installed         
             Depends: gconf-editor but it is not going to be installed       
             Depends: gdebi but it is not going to be installed           
             Depends: gdm                              
             Depends: gedit but it is not going to be installed           
             Depends: gnome-about but it is not going to be installed        
             Depends: gnome-applets but it is not going to be installed       
             Depends: gnome-control-center but it is not going to be installed   
             Depends: gnome-icon-theme but it is not going to be installed     
             Depends: gnome-media but it is not going to be installed        
             Depends: gnome-menus but it is not going to be installed        
             Depends: gnome-nettool but it is not going to be installed       
             Depends: gnome-panel but it is not going to be installed        
             Depends: gnome-power-manager but it is not going to be installed    
             Depends: gnome-session but it is not going to be installed       
             Depends: gnome-session-canberra but it is not going to be installed  
             Depends: gnome-system-monitor but it is not going to be installed   
             Depends: gnome-system-tools but it is not going to be installed    
             Depends: gnome-terminal but it is not going to be installed      
             Depends: gnome-themes-selected but it is not going to be installed   
             Depends: gnome-themes-ubuntu but it is not going to be installed    
             Depends: gnome-utils but it is not going to be installed        
             Depends: gstreamer0.10-alsa but it is not going to be installed    
             Depends: gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-apps but it is not going to be installed
             Depends: gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio but it is not going to be installed    
             Depends: gtk2-engines but it is not going to be installed          
             Depends: gtk2-engines-pixbuf but it is not going to be installed      
             Depends: gucharmap but it is not going to be installed           
             Depends: indicator-applet-session but it is not going to be installed    
             Depends: language-selector but it is not going to be installed       
             Depends: launchpad-integration but it is not going to be installed     
             Depends: libgd2-xpm but it is not going to be installed           
             Depends: libgnome2-perl but it is not going to be installed         
             Depends: metacity but it is not going to be installed            
             Depends: nautilus but it is not going to be installed            
             Depends: nautilus-sendto but it is not going to be installed        
             Depends: notify-osd but it is not going to be installed           
             Depends: pulseaudio but it is not going to be installed           
             Depends: pulseaudio-esound-compat but it is not going to be installed    
             Depends: rarian-compat but it is not going to be installed         
             Depends: screensaver-default-images but it is not going to be installed   
             Depends: seahorse but it is not going to be installed            
             Depends: software-center but it is not going to be installed        
             Depends: software-properties-gtk but it is not going to be installed    
             Depends: ssh-askpass-gnome but it is not going to be installed       
             Depends: synaptic but it is not going to be installed            
             Depends: system-config-printer-gnome but it is not going to be installed  
             Depends: ubuntu-artwork but it is not going to be installed         
             Depends: ubuntu-sounds but it is not going to be installed         
             Depends: update-manager but it is not going to be installed         
             Depends: update-notifier but it is not going to be installed        
             Depends: xdg-user-dirs-gtk but it is not going to be installed       
             Depends: xscreensaver-data but it is not going to be installed       
             Depends: xscreensaver-gl but it is not going to be installed        
             Depends: xsplash but it is not going to be installed            
             Depends: yelp but it is not going to be installed              
             Depends: zenity but it is not going to be installed             
             Recommends: app-install-data-partner but it is not going to be installed  
             Recommends: apport-gtk but it is not going to be installed         
             Recommends: brasero but it is not going to be installed           
             Recommends: brltty-x11 but it is not going to be installed         
             Recommends: compiz but it is not going to be installed           
             Recommends: computer-janitor-gtk but it is not going to be installed    
             Recommends: empathy but it is not going to be installed           
             Recommends: espeak but it is not going to be installed           
             Recommends: evolution but it is not going to be installed          
             Recommends: evolution-couchdb but it is not going to be installed      
             Recommends: evolution-exchange but it is not going to be installed     
             Recommends: evolution-indicator but it is not going to be installed     
             Recommends: evolution-plugins but it is not going to be installed      
             Recommends: evolution-webcal but it is not going to be installed      
             Recommends: example-content but it is not going to be installed       
             Recommends: f-spot but it is not going to be installed           
             Recommends: firefox                             
             Recommends: firefox-gnome-support but it is not going to be installed    
             Recommends: gdm-guest-session but it is not going to be installed      
             Recommends: gimp but it is not going to be installed            
             Recommends: gnome-accessibility-themes but it is not going to be installed 
             Recommends: gnome-bluetooth but it is not going to be installed       
             Recommends: gnome-codec-install but it is not going to be installed     
             Recommends: gnome-disk-utility but it is not going to be installed     
             Recommends: gnome-games but it is not going to be installed         
             Recommends: gnome-mag but it is not going to be installed          
             Recommends: gnome-orca but it is not going to be installed         
             Recommends: gnome-screensaver but it is not going to be installed      
             Recommends: gnome-user-guide but it is not going to be installed      
             Recommends: gvfs-fuse but it is not going to be installed          
             Recommends: ibus but it is not going to be installed            
             Recommends: ibus-gtk but it is not going to be installed          
             Recommends: ibus-m17n but it is not going to be installed          
             Recommends: ibus-table but it is not going to be installed         
             Recommends: indicator-messages but it is not going to be installed     
             Recommends: jockey-gtk but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: libpam-gnome-keyring but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: libwmf0.2-7-gtk but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: mousetweaks but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: nautilus-share but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: network-manager-gnome but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: onboard but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: openoffice.org-gnome but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: openoffice.org-help-en-us but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: openoffice.org-impress but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: openoffice.org-style-human but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: pulseaudio-module-bluetooth but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: pulseaudio-module-gconf but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: pulseaudio-module-x11 but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: rhythmbox but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: speech-dispatcher but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: telepathy-idle but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: tomboy
             Recommends: totem but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: totem-mozilla but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: transmission-gtk but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: tsclient but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: ubufox but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: ubuntu-docs but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: ubuntuone-client-gnome but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: usb-creator-gtk but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: vinagre but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: vino but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: xsane but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
    What does 'apt-get -f install' do and is that my next step?

Thanks
    KDE neon LTS 5.12

Re: Error installing Ubuntu desktop on Kubuntu 9.10

"apt-get -f" fixes broken packages. The error message that you got almost always (in my experience) says that. It's often appropriate. In this case, I doubt it, but I could be wrong.

I suspect that your real problem is that you did not use the command
    Code:
    apt-get --install-recommends ubuntu-desktop
    Ubuntu-desktop is a "dummy package". Its only purpose is to give you a list of recommended packages (i.e. the components of the Ubuntu desktop) so that you don't have to list them all by hand.

Comment

I believe the correct syntax is:
      Code:
      apt-get install --install-recommends ubuntu-desktop
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

OOPS !
        My bad.

Comment

the last time I did this .......back in JJ-9.04 I used synaptic and it worked the first try no problem.

BUT now thare have ben so meney upgrades to the system and things have changed so mutch (up to 9.10 and KDE-4.4.1)that the Gnome login though working still is some what bugey so to speek.

I thing if I were to do it over I'd do diferent partitions and have Ubuntu on one set (/ and /home) and Kubuntu on anuther.

but that sead all my window managers (KDE,Gnome,xfce4,E16,e17,fluxbox) will load up and work with vareing degreas of bugeyness .........exept KDE witch seams to have no glitches.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yeah. I 'simulated' the apt-get install --install-recommends ubuntu-desktop (apt-get install --install-recommends --simulate ubuntu-desktop

I should have known just how much this would pull in, but I was still surprised at just how much. I'll stick to my multi-boot setup. If I want to boot into Ubuntu (JJ 9.04), I'll do so when I boot (or re-boot).

Comment

thanks for the replies

Code:
              apt-get install --install-recommends ubuntu-desktop
              does what exactly?

googling that exact command only returned one site and it was french
              doesn't seem like a very common command.
              KDE neon LTS 5.12

Comment

apt-get install is the command to install a specified package. the --install-recommends tells the command (install) to also install all the 'recommended' packages.

Comment

Thanks

For fear of bogging my system down or creating conflicts I think I will leave this alone.

I only have 800MB space on my OS drive
                  KDE neon LTS 5.12

Comment

Working...
                  X