Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automatic Software Update - Proxy stopping it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic Software Update - Proxy stopping it?

Hi
    I have installed Kubuntu at home a week or so ago, in order to get used to it before setting it up at school, for using as a server. After installing it at home, Kubuntu informed me that there was a Software update or security updates etc. Ok.
    When it came time for me to install at school on another - it did not run the System Update. I have since noticed that when I try to add software - uninstalled software are greyed out. This leads me to believe that there is a internet connection problem here.
    We do use a proxy server at school, but after entering the details - internet connection seems fine and I can connect to the internet without trouble. Does anybody have any idea how I could apply the security updates at school.

Thanks a lot

Re: Automatic Software Update - Proxy stopping it?

Hi,

I don't know what proxy settings adept is using, but maybe not the one from the system... Where did you configured it ?
    I've configure proxy in bash_profile of the user and it's working great with command line.

Cheers

Comment

Hi, I went from the menu>system settings>connections>proxy. I thought it wouls be system wide from here? I am new to Linux, and if you could explain (in detail!!!!) how you set yours up - i would be very grateful.

Thanks

Comment

When I'm at work, I open an xterm and enter
        Code:
        export http_proxy=http://<proxy-server>:<proxy-port>
        then I use apt-get to update and upgrade my laptop.

I have never figured out how to tell adept that I am behind a proxy

Comment

I'm doing exactly the same, but more because I don't really enjoy GUI for upgrades I prefer to see everything with this so good old CLI

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X