X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barnes & Noble eReader question

Hi,

Has any one installed the B&N eReader on kubuntu successfully? It installs using Wine but crashes when it tries to display the book.

Yes I know look at winehq they say its garbage. That's why I turned to the best people on the web.

Ted

Re: Barnes & Noble eReader question

I really would guess that if the wine experts say it is garbage, it might well be so - in terms of running it under wine, at least

Comment

Whilst I would generally agree it's not always the case and it's worth playing around a bit. My example - I have for some time now been running Dragon Naturally Speaking Standard 9 within wine, which is shown as garbage. I managed to get it running, after years of failure, in Jaunty. Whilst the package is shown as garbage it's noteworthy that there are only 3 test reports.

However, a couple of months ago my home directory got wiped out (still don't know why). Following the reinstatement of everything I could not get Dragon to work and I could not reinstall it either. With the aid of 2 great people on the wine forum I was able to get it going - to do so I had to downgrade to an older version of wine (1.1.6 to be precise) but once installed I was able to upgrade to the latest and all remains well. The problem appeared to be that the latest versions of wine were actually too good as they over-respected the programs registration wishes!

Also, if you are dual-booting with windows you might get some mileage if you copy the dlls from the c:windows\system 32 directory to the /home/.wine/windows/system 32 directory. If you are dual-booting and you have installed the reader in windows, are you able to run the executable that will be in the c:\program files directory?

If neither of those help, navigate to the directory where the setup executable is. Hit F4 to launch a terminal and then type wine setup (or whatever the executable is called) and copy all the output to a text file. Then visit the wine forums and post a query. The output will be help with a diagnosis and will enable one of the experts there to help you if they can.

HTH
      ian

Comment

Just so every one knows, The eReader installed and it runs when you can log in and see what books you have and if you click on one it downloads (it is in the folder in my documents). the rub is when it goes to display a book.

On winehq there is only one report, and its the one that says its garbage.

I will get the output and post to wine boards.

Ted

Comment

Might be worth while copying the windows dlls from system 32 into the wine system 32 folder. Sometimes the native dlls as opposed to the wine ones, and the fact that there are some that are not replicated by wine, might just be the difference.

There is also a program called winetricks with which you can install a variety of windows components. If you post your error messages on the wine forum that should give a clue as to whether that will fix it.

Alternatively could it be a DRM issue?

Ian

Comment

I posted the output from terminal there and they showed me a call from gui.dll and a sent me to a bug report. there is a patch but doesn't tell me where to apply it. when i get some free time sunday im going to copy the .dll's from a xp computer i have and put them in the system32 folder.

Comment

Working...
            X