Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Email App Woes (Evolution vs. Thunderbird vs. KMail)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email App Woes (Evolution vs. Thunderbird vs. KMail)

I've been having an identity crisis with choosing an email application. If KMail could forward email in HTML, I would stick with it.

I can get Thunderbird 3.01 working on my Karmic x64 system. But when following the instructions (located here: http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/faq#kmail) to migrate, I create a mbox folder in my inbox, and then copy all the mail over to it. However, I always end up with a 0 size file in the KMail folder setup.

So here's my questions:
    1) Can you forward HTML emails in KMail?
    2) Any other recommendation on migrating KMail to Thunderbird?
    3) Is Evolution the better of the two anyway? Can it forward HTML emails?

Thanks for your help...

Re: Email App Woes (Evolution vs. Thunderbird vs. KMail)

Is there a version of Evolution that will work on KDE?

Comment

If you want a *full* PIM then there might be an argument made for going with Evolution over Thunderbird, but if you just want a mail client and calendar then Thunderbird is quite a bit better than Evolution.

I just moved from Kontact to Thunderbird because of KMail's inability to resume gracefully from a standby (IMAP accounts become inaccessible), crashes galore, and slow performance. I'm happy to have moved to Thunderbird despite the lack of tight integration with KDE. But here's another bonus of moving to Thunderbird: no dependence on the horrendously slow Akonadi sever, even if you want access to google contacts and calendars. Plus bidirectional access actually works *without a hiccup* in Thunderbird.

Sorry I can't give any advice of moving all your mail over. I keep all of mine in the cloud so I don't have to worry about that.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigAmbulance
        I've been having an identity crisis with choosing an email application. If KMail could forward email in HTML, I would stick with it.
        Works here. Tested it by opening an email I rec'd in HTML, forwarded it to myself, and the rec'd email had all the html intact.

Kontact version 4.4
        KMail version 1.13.0
        KDE 4.4.00
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye
          But here's another bonus of moving to Thunderbird: no dependence on the horrendously slow Akonadi sever, even if you want access to google contacts and calendars.
          Could not agree more. I can't say why what you are doing is not working but IMHO I find Thunderbird preferable to kmail.

Presumably your mailboxes are Pop 3? If you set up a free gmail account you can configure it to use IMAP, then copy the mails from your POP3 folders to your IMAP folders. You can then reverse the process from within Thundrbird. It's a bit convoluted I know but if you are struggling it might save you a lot of time and hassle.

Comment

Snowhog - was that html e-mail forwarded as an attachment? I want to forward html inline, including images, so I can delete extra address and signature blocks. I can't find any way to get KMail to do this?
            An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

Comment

Working...
            X