This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone help me with Samba

Hi, all I want to do is have easy access to my shares for my housemates, but I cannot figure out how to do it in Kubuntu. I don't care about security, I want to be able to share anything, not just what is in my /home directory and for anyone to be able to connect to it. In Ubuntu this was simple, I just added a user called guest to my OS and then clicked on a folder and clicked share, then all they had to do was go to my address, enter guest into the login and press enter and viola, all is good.

I have tried a tonne of combinations of things in Samba in Kubuntu but nothing seems to work. The best I got was folders coming up with "\\comp\folder The network name cannot be found" which I can't find a proper explanation of anywhere, or when I try to put guest as a user it won't accept username or password.

All the guides I have seen just show you how to setup access to the /home folder for specific users, rather then access to any shares for all users.

If someone knows how to do this or could point me to a website it would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Re: Can someone help me with Samba

Run "kcontrol", and there's a Samba configuration section under "Internet and Network".

Choose "Share level" security, if you know your network is secure.

Then under the "Shares" tab, you can add any directories you want to share.

I also have a "Share" tab (as well as a [different] "Sharing" tab) through Konqueror, though I don't use it.

Hope this helps!

Comment

detailed and technical way: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#Samba_Server
      <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Originally posted by JamesM
        Run "kcontrol", and there's a Samba configuration section under "Internet and Network".

Choose "Share level" security, if you know your network is secure.

Then under the "Shares" tab, you can add any directories you want to share.

I also have a "Share" tab (as well as a [different] "Sharing" tab) through Konqueror, though I don't use it.

Hope this helps!

thank you! i've been trying all day to get my file sharing working, and not until finding this post did i see anything anywhere about changing that "share level" setting. thanks again

Comment

Working...
        X