This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to avoid registration

Wow - I'm astounded how aggressive the spam is. Just to clarify, my criticism of the difficulty of registering was meant to be constructive. This forum seems like a great community.

It's not reasonable for moderators to spend their time manually reviewing and flagging posts. Is there a workable solution that leverages everyone's eyes/time? If all users can flag spam, a post with X number of flags is removed and the user banned?

Comment

@dre12b

Not to worry. We didn't take your comments 'negatively.' As to reporting spam, you just have to click on the Report to moderator link in the lower right corner of a post. That sends a message to all Moderators that includes the URL of the post. One of us will review the post, and if deemed appropriate, will take action, which can include removal of the post and banning of the poster.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by dre12b
        Wow - I'm astounded how aggressive the spam is. Just to clarify, my criticism of the difficulty of registering was meant to be constructive. This forum seems like a great community.

It's not reasonable for moderators to spend their time manually reviewing and flagging posts. Is there a workable solution that leverages everyone's eyes/time?
        unfortunatley spambot's keep geting smarter as dose the blocking tecknolagy some can even do captcha now .

If all users can flag spam, a post with X number of flags is removed and the user banned?
        that would no dought get abused by someone that got mad and started flaging everyone

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I think you will find the RC 2.0 version of SMF will not have more functions than what is currently available via Mods. Most of the problems come with the human spammers, and about all one can do is to ban by IP address.

Comment

@Snowhog

Good to hear, I don't like being a wet blanket. Thanks for the head's up on the report to moderator. What if you distribute the moderators workload to all users by allowing posts flagged by multiple users to be jettisoned without moderation? It just seems like a bad recipe for moderators to be exhausting their time and energy dealing on a discretionary basis with each flag. Just my two cents!

@vinnywright

If two, three or X users had to flag the post, wouldn't that negate any sort of rogue behavior? Seems like most people who spend any time on a constructive forum have a vested interest in improving it.

Comment

But most of the better and maintained mods seem to be for the still rc 2.0, and some are built-in.

Definitely as more and more of these 'bots' become actual human spammers, it will get harder again.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                .... As to reporting spam, you just have to click on the Report to moderator link in the lower right corner of a post. That sends a message to all Moderators that includes the URL of the post. One of us will review the post, and if deemed appropriate, will take action, which can include removal of the post and banning of the poster.
                Hey! I've done that!

Comment

I have a great idea: a security question that no spam bot would know how to answer correctly, and if it does, it would mean that it's a smart f****r, and should have the right to spam. I suggest therefore to replace "What is the capital of India?" with "What is the meaning of life?"
                  Seriously, when I saw your security questions, on the first round of answers I've declared myself a bot, and I've got turned down. Now do you believe that a bot would answer affirmatively to that question?

Comment

Well, you did make it through the gauntlet, so you are either one very smart bot, or a normal human who knows about Google and searched, like most of us did/do.

Welcome to KFN.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Easy enough! 42!!!!

Every bot with its bits knows the answer to that one!

Comment

Originally posted by pazuzuthewise
                        I suggest therefore to replace "What is the capital of India?" with "What is the meaning of life?"
                        Too easy. Answer: 42

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                        X