This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems after fresh install

The computer starts up, I select Kubuntu 9.04 from GRUB, Kubuntu loads and then...
    Nothing happens, just two dots circling and at some point they stop and thats all. The computer has locked up.

Ok i already know something abou linux, so go to recovery mode and set automaticly fix graphics related errors. After that i get a wallpaper and the cursor. Then the computer locks up again!

I go to recovery mode once more. Thise time straigh to the console. initx gives some unknow error. startx starts up the KDE and and get the desktop and hear startup sounds. Then the computer freezes again (no keyboard or mouse control possible beacuse they just dont work).

I check xorg.conf. Nothing useful there.

By the way. This happened with every new disto I tried. The only ones that work are Fedora 8 and Puppy linux. Others freeze up exactly like Kubuntu.

My computer:
    Intel Pentium 4 HT (2.88GHz)
    Nvidia GeForce 5200 FX
    Some sort of MSI motherboard
    Windows dual-boot (30 GB for Windows, 10 GB for Linux.

Re: Problems after fresh install

It's either your graphics card, or a memory problem - you didn't tell us how much RAM you have - or both. It could also be the amount of space you alloted for the installation: 10G. This is pretty marginal.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Problems after fresh install

I have 512 MB RAM. No other distro has ever complained about 10 GB space. But I didnt make a swap partition. Could that have something to to with it? Memory is working OK.

Comment

Working...
      X