This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wifi?

Let me start out by saying i am completely new to kubuntu and I'm not sure what is going on...When I go to connect to the internet my Wireless card says that it sees all the networks and It has my regular connection in the drop down menu for all my networks and such but when i click on my network nothing happens it refuses to attempt to connect to my network and when i try to connect to other wireless connections secure or not it gets stuck at configuring interface then goes back to the not connected screen on my taskbar no matter how many times i attempt to connect to any network it just doesn't work. It seems like it works when it feels like it because last night i was connected to my network downloading and all but this morning it wont connect to my network it is on my bar as connections within range but it is like the network I'm clicking on isn't even there

Re: wifi?

update:I restarted my computer for the 5th time and the wireless connected without a problem although i know as soon as i turn off my computer it will mess up again.

Comment

Hi, I have the exact same problem! This type of problem is exactly what scares new users away (I have been using Linux for several years).

I have been searching through the forums and I notice that alot of these wireless problem posts go unanswered. Perhaps I have a better chance of getting answers from ubuntuforums.org?!?

Anyway, my network controller is: Intel Corporation Pro/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection (rev 05)

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Comment

Which wireless connection app are you using? wicd or knetworkmanager? Or, are both installed.

In a Konsole:

locate bin/wicd

locate bin/knm-runtime
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

Im using knetworkmanager (/usr/bin/knetworkmanager).

This is so strange because maybe one out of ten times when I try to connect to the wireless network, the mouse click does not seem to be registered...

Comment

As a workaround I could get my network manager to connect by restarting it. Ran in console the command:
            Code:
            sudo service network-manager restart
            But there seems to be a serious problem with KNetworkManager here...

Comment

KNetworkmanager gives some people problems.

Do this:

FIRST

install these apps:
              wicd
              wicd-daemon
              wicd-gtk
              python-notify
              python-wicd

SECOND:

then remove these apps:
              knm-runtime
              network-manager
              network-manager-kde
              network-manager-gnome
              network-manager-openvpn
              network-manager-pptp
              network-manager-vpnc

and then reboot, run wicid and reconnect to your wireless access point.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X