This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dualboot Window 7 and Kubuntu 9.10

I have decided to make a dualboot on my PC. At the moment I have Windows 7 installed and I would like to have Kubuntu installed too. However, I am a total newbie and am very afraid to do anything wrong. I have read that the Kubuntu desktop edition should not be installed if you use a boot partition

http://kubuntuguide.org/Karmic#Dual-...ws_and_Kubuntu

Installing multiple OS on a single computer

"Warning: Kubuntu Desktop edition installer no longer allows a custom installation of GRUB, and it now uses GRUB2, which allows very little customization. DO NOT USE the Karmic Koala Desktop edition if you use a boot partition, use multiple OS (more than 2), or chainload bootloaders. The Kubuntu installer will overwrite your Master Boot Record and you will later be forced to recreate it. This is a serious flaw in Karmic Koala's Desktop edition installer. Use the Ubuntu Server edition instead (and then later add the kubuntu-desktop).

If you want to install more than 2 operating systems on a single computer, check out these tips. "

My PC is a HP and it has an image partition. Does it mean that I should not install Kubuntu 9.10 desktop edition and instead use the server edition and the add the Kubuntu desktop later? If so, how exactly do I do that?

I really hope that someone can help me in this matter and would like to hear the experiences from someone who has a PC with an image partition too.

Thanks a lot in advance

Re: Dualboot Window 7 and Kubuntu 9.10

Have a look at "Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu in Perfect Harmony" on http://lifehacker.com/5403100/dual+b...erfect-harmony
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Re: Dualboot Window 7 and Kubuntu 9.10

Thanks for your answer However, I do not have a Windows disk as it came preinstalled. Thats why it has an image partition instead. According to the guide I would need that. Furthermore, the reason for asking is the warning from kubuntuguide.org regarding the desktop edition......

I am also considering using Virtualbox instead of making a dualboot. Can anyone tell me if that would be an idea?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X