This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just installed Kubuntu can't play music CDs with Amarok or Kaffeine

Just trying to play some music CDs today with a fresh install of Kubuntu but no luck.

Kaffeine gives an error of Could not find input plugin for MRL [cdda:/]

I tried Amarok and it doesn't do a thing.

Also I tried to open up the CD with the file manager but it says that the disk is empty. It's not empty, it's a store bought music CD and it plays fine on other computers.

Any idea on how I can listen to music CDs in Kubuntu? I searched in the forums but it made my head spin trying to figure out what is wrong with Kubuntu.

Thanks.

Re: Just installed Kubuntu can't play music CDs with Amarok or Kaffeine

Your problem is not with your computer or with *buntu. Your problem is US and (to a lesser extent) European intellectual property law. A variety of legal problems and precedents have made it difficult to include particular music and video codecs (the software that encodes and decodes music formats) in Linux distributions. It has to be installed separately. You do this by following the directions that can be found on this page at the Ubuntu Community Help Wiki.

This problem is not new or specific to *buntu. a decade ago, or so, there used to be an organization called (if memory serves) "The Penguin Liberation Front" that used to provide access to source code packages that had to be decompressed and compiled in order to play mpeg files. Most modern Linux distributions now provide solutions similar to Medibuntu.

Comment

Thanks for the help Al.

I've already put in the Kubuntu-restricted-extras and it makes no difference, still can't play CDs.

Still looking for an answer. I got a bunch of CDs for Xmas and would love to listen to them. The only computer I have right now is this one with Kubuntu!

It's got to be something crazy simple to get CDs to play, it can't be that hard.

Help?

Comment

What version of Kubuntu and KDE?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Are there more information if you play (or try to) the CD from the commandline. Konsole /1/:
          Code:
          kaffeine --audiocd

Sometimes the installation will make wrong links > Topic: Kaffeine "quirkiness" in karmic. The softlinks could be point to the nonexistent/wrong device.

What are telling:
          Code:
          ls -l /dev/cd*
          and
          Code:
          ls -l /dev/dvd*
          Do you have more than one CD/DVD player ?

/1/ kaffeine --help
          Usage: kaffeine [Qt-options] [KDE-options] [options] [file]

A media player for KDE with digital TV support.
          Options:
          --audiocd Play Audio CD
          More > HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

My KDE is 4.3.2

My Kubuntu is 9.10

Comment

When I enter:

audiocd:/

in Konqueror's URL field guess what happens, all the tracks on the audio CD can be seen and they're named perfectly as with CDDB. What in the world?

Dolphin though can't do that, Kaffeine can't do that, Amarok can't do that.

How do you play CDs in Kubuntu?

Comment

From the Amarok website at http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/FAQ#How_do_I_play_audio-CDs

"How do I play audio-CDs

Amarok 2 does not currently support audiocd playback. "
                "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I have Amarok 2.2.0 and I thought it was supposed to play CDs.

What do you play CDs with?

BTW in system settings I changed the /dev/cdrom to /dev/cdrom1.

I opened up K3B and it sees the music CD just fine, reads the title and tracks perfectly. I thought cool I'll rip it to MP3s but it doesn't support MP3s. I had installed libk3b6-extracodecs which is supposed to support MP3s but it doesn't.

Any idea on 1) how to play CDs in Kubuntu. 2) How do you get K3B to rip MP3s?

Comment

Just today I had a Update Notifier that, on its own told me I can install these files to have extra functionality - play music. Before , in the past, on KK, when I clicked on it, nothing happen. Today though, it worked. This on my Kubuntu Lucid testing.

Attached Files
                    Boot Info Script

Comment

VLC can play them, and it doesn't rely on external codecs AFAIK.
                      Welcome newbies!
                      Verify the ISO
                      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I downloaded Kscd but it doesn't do a thing and it's so simplistic, there's nothing you can configure.

Looking for the next possible CD player.

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
                          VLC can play them, and it doesn't rely on external codecs AFAIK.
                          Thanks man I'm downloading VLC now. I forgot that it can play CDs. I only think of it as a DVD player or Vid files player.

Maybe it will be able to play music while I try to figure out how to get the other things to work.

Comment

I was right Amarok is supposed to play CDs.

http://dot.kde.org/2009/10/01/amarok...ammer-released

Comment

Sweet VLC plays both CDs and DVDs. CDDB works as well.

Now why in the world can VLC work right but KsCD and Amarok and Kaffeine can't play CDs?

Thanks for the help man.

I'd still like to be able to get KsCD and Amarok and Kaffeine to work.

Or is there a better CD player out there that I don't know about yet for Kubuntu apart from VLC?

Comment

Working...
                              X