This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just installed Kubuntu ... HELP

I just installed the operating system and its totally fecked my brain up, im so used to Windows.

This is what id like help with

I have no sound
    Cant play Video Files
    and i dont know how to install, i would like to install vlc media player, a good internet browser and some sort of p2p software

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Re: Just installed Kubuntu ... HELP

Hello, Acero, welcome to Kubuntu

The best ways of finding answers to your (small, as you will find out) problems is to search the Kubuntu and/or Ubuntu forums as well as doing a Google search.

Your sound and video problems "may" be because you need to install the w32 codecs.

You will find this site to be very helpful -

http://kudos.berlios.de/kf/kf1.html

You will also find this site (written by aysiu) to be very helpful when trying to install new software -

http://www.psychocats.net/linux/installingsoftware.php

Please don't think I'm doing a "read the bloody manual" thing, I'm not. When I converted from the MS last year, I found it VERY helpful to have a good look around and do a bit of reading about how this amazing new (to me) system works. I am by NO means an expert, quite the opposite, but I have found out a great deal and with plenty of help from the great people on these forums I now have a very nice Kubuntu system running just how I like it.

Hope this waffle may have been of some assistance to you.

Cheers

Lowey

I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Welcome to Kubuntu Acero. To get your sound working, and for me to help, I would need a little more information. However, most sound cards are automatically detected by Kubuntu, but may be muted. You may need to play with "Kmenu > Multimedia > Kmix". Play with muting and un-muting some selections.

For your video to work, check out RestrictedFormats Wiki. This will more then likely fix your video woe's and link you to more information concerning other media players.

For a p2p system, Frostwire is a gnutella network client that is a Limewire clone, just doesn't include the bs about licensing and what not.

Hope this helps out. As for internet browser you can always use Konqueror, or Firefox. Good luck, and try not to get discouraged considering this is your first time away from Windows. It can get difficult and confusing at times, but the more you stick with it, the more you will enjoy it. You can also get online via IRC at irc.freenode.net and join the #kubuntu channel to get live instant support. And always, these forums are a good place for support.
      Richard Johnson (nixternal)<br />Core Developer :: MOTU :: MOTU Council :: Community Council<br />https://launchpad.net/~nixternal<br />http://www.nixternal.com

Comment

Ok first of all thanks for the information guys, its a great help!

Ive decided to tackle my sound problem first. When i go into my KMix it shows that their is no sound card selected and theirfor their is a red x over the icon in the system tray. So Kubuntu must not be recognising my sound card

Comment

I'm no expert in soundcard support ("unfortunately" all my soundcards seem to just work, so I don't get to practise troubleshooting them...), but I suspect if someone more knowledgeable were to read your post, the first thing they'd ask is "What sort of soundcard do you have?" and "Does it show up OK if you type lspci in a konsole window?" (the latter assuming it's either a built-in or pci soundcard). (Look for something like 'multimedia audio controller', and put the rest of the output for that line in a reply here.)

Comment

When i type Ispci it says command not found

And my soundcard is something like Crystal something or another

Comment

Im running Kubuntu on my IBM Thinkpad laptop its quite an old model

Comment

That command is lspci (l for leather) not Ispci. Easy mistake.
                I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Originally posted by lowey23
                  That command is lspci (l for leather) not Ispci. Easy mistake.
                  Thanks ill try that just now

Comment

Ok so i typed in lscpi and this is the info i get

[img width=400 height=300]http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/5872/snapshot19km.png[/img]
                    Full Size: http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/5...apshot19km.png

edited by Nirvana: tried to remove the width/height tags, but they keep coming back, must be a new mod to smf?

Comment

Sorry dont know why the image is so small but if you save it and magnify it it will be clearb

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

Please help me because i can't reinstall Windows and my Kubuntu is ****ed!

Comment

Hi, Acero

Did you add the necessary repositories and instal the w32 codecs?
                            Mplayer usually works very nicely with these installed, I've found.
                            Also, I know little about laptops, but I had to disable the onboard sound on my PC when I added a soundcard.

Hope it helps

Lowey

Comment

Have you tried using Automatix? It usually resolves all the video/audio plugin issues.

Here ya go: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=190025

Comment

Working...
                              X