X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphical Problem

Hello All! Noob to Ku here.

I had a spare laptop at work, old one, (Gateway 450ROG. 1.3 GHz Intel Centrino, 512M, 40Gig, On-Board Gra.), so i decided it would be my test subject for the 9.10 Ku.

It installed, I'm even typing at you now from it. However, I had to trick my away around to get the web.

My problem is that all the menus and boarders around windows are all choppy lines and I can't see anything. Is this a known issue with a fix maybe? Or is this laptop just not compatible?

Note, All the graphics within the browser are all great, pictures and all.

Re: Graphical Problem

Assuming the onboard graphic chip is an Intel, YES there are known issues with the Linux drivers. It is not Kubuntu-specific though. Some are able to get past the problem -- find your GPU model by opening a Konsole window and issuing
    Code:
    lspci
    Once you know that, you can research the fixes -- there are more threads on Ubuntu forum than on this one, but there are threads here too.

Here's a good place to start:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

Comment

I can't open the Konsole window because I can't see where to open it from. (hence, graphical problem). Is there a hotkey for it?

Never mind, I tricked my way into that one too.

Here is the info

To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
      See "man sudo_root" for details.

chris@Kubuntu:~$ lspci
      00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82855PM Processor to I/O Controller (rev 03)
      00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82855PM Processor to AGP Controller (rev 03)
      00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
      00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
      00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
      00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
      00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 83)
      00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
      00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) IDE Controller (rev 03)
      00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
      00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
      00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]
      02:04.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter (rev 04)
      02:05.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev aa)
      02:05.1 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev aa)
      02:05.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C552 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 02)
      02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB PRO/100 VE (MOB) Ethernet Controller (rev 83)
      chris@Kubuntu:~$

Comment

Ooops, not an Intel!

OK, yes, Alt-F2 "konsole" will work to launch the Konsole, assuming you can see the desktop.

I don't do ATI cards, but I know the proprietary driver, if one is available for your model of GPU, can be added via Kmenu>System>Hardware Drivers. But if you can't see the menus, ummmmmmm. :P

I think it's
        Code:
        kdesudo jockey-kde
        from the Konsole, but you'd better verify before launching it.

I also think that all Radeon chips don't have a driver for Linux. You might have to live with a VESA display, which should work.

Comment

thanks dibl, I'll look into it when I return to work. We are in a blizzard watch, (was fun driving home), and we have all left the building till monday. I'll see what I can do then, then post back.

Comment

Working...
          X