This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External hd's not mounting...

I'm running Kubuntu 9.10 in Virtual Box 3.1.2. And can't seem to get neither my USB drive, nor a Firewire drive to mount inside Kubuntu. I have the Virtual box Guest additions installed, and have spent several hours looking for a solution. But to no avail. Any help, would be really appreciated.

Just so you know more about where I am at... Full disclosure: I'm on a Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo. 2.66 Gig. 4GB RAM. Snow Leopard. The drives are both formatted in Mac OS Extended/Journaled. They both mount fine on my Mac desktop.

Thank you in advance.

Re: External hd's not mounting...

Known issue, VirtualBox has problems with USB, especially on Mac hosts. There is a wealth of information on the VB forums but no solution. I have problems too but have not tested my USB drive on 3.1.2. I'm pretty sure it's still an issue in 3.1.2. Some devices work and some don't. My external USB drive has never worked in VirtualBox. It's one of the reasons I finally switched to VMware Fusion.
    linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

Re: External hd's not mounting...

I don't know much about Mac but for *buntu you can manually mount the usb drive.

Can you even see the usb drive?
      to see usb devices use command (in Kubuntu)
      explained here
      Code:
      lsusb
      so for me to mount my HTC phone I have to(you'll have to make the adjustments accordingly)...

see that the device is there - and it is
      Code:
      >>>>>>Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bb4:0c02 High Tech Computer Corp.<<<<<<
      Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1058:0404 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. 
      Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub   
      Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c312 Logitech, Inc. DeLuxe 250 Keyboard 
      Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c043 Logitech, Inc. MX320/MX400 Laser Mouse
      Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
      Now we need to know where it is ..

Code:
      sudo fdisk -l
      will show where it is
      Code:
      Device Boot   Start     End   Blocks  Id System
      /dev/sdc1  *      3    62299   1931199+  c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
      Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
      make a mount point where it should be mounted (notice all the external devices you'll find in /media )
      Code:
      sudo mkdir /media/usbtest
      and then mount it
      Code:
      $ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1 /media/usbtest -o uid=1000,gid=100,utf8,dmask=027,fmask=137
      to see, use, copy, move you can now
      Code:
      ls /media/usbtest
      will show you the files in the first directory

However I have never got Virtualbox (freeware version) to actually take advantage of USB2, and I'd follow the suggestion from ukchucktown and get WMware instead, where I got USB2 working with Snowhogs advice here but that is from a Kubuntu 'side' of WMware (it may not help but atleast it show WMs potential)

edit; searching the net for "wmware mac usb" gave me almost 4 times as many hits as "Virtualbox mac usb", possibly 4 times as many problems .. or possibly 4 times as many solutions
      ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
      Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
      Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
      Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
      - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
      >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Working...
      X