• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to uninstall and reinstall packages

Hello,
    I installed kubuntu restricted extras using the following command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras
    Due to my own ignorance the installation failed. I was unable to accept the Java license agreement because I could not get to the OK button in the terminal. I gave up and hit Ctrl-c Ctrl-x.

I was able to figure it out later and run the installation again.
    However, I don't get any sound when I play flash files and wmv files. I think this is because of a faulty installation. I tried the following several times but it only removes 32.8kB:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove kubuntu-restricted-extras
    Is there a way to remove the whole thing and re-install?

I thank you in advance for your help.

Re: How to uninstall and reinstall packages

The package > kubuntu-restricted-extras is a meta-package /1/. The kubuntu-restricted-extras (Kubuntu 9.10) recommends /2/:

Code:
    apt-cache show kubuntu-restricted-extras
    Recommends: adobe-flashplugin | flashplugin-installer, libxine1-ffmpeg, libavcodec52, libavformat52, libpostproc51, libswscale0, libk3b6-extracodecs, libmp3lame0, unrar, libtunepimp5-mp3, sun-java6-jre, ttf-mscorefonts-installer

When you install the kubuntu-restricted-extras => it will install those recommended packages.

However, I don't get any sound when I play flash files and wmv files.
    - What kind of system do you have ? 32/64 bit ?
    - Do you have the Medibuntu repository enabled ? non-free-codecs /3/ installed ?

/1/ > MetaPackages
    Introduction

One of the handy features of apt (the packaging system used by Ubuntu) is the use of metapackages. These packages do not contain actual software, they simply depend on other packages to be installed. This setup allows entire sets of software to be installed by selecting only the appropriate metapackage.
    /2/ > Karmic Koala Release Notes
    Installation

Recommended packages installed by default

In accordance with the Debian Policy Manual (which says "The 'Recommends' field should list packages that would be found together with this one in all but unusual installations"), the package management system now installs packages listed in the Recommends: field of other installed packages as well as Depends: by default. If you want to avoid this for specific packages, use apt-get --no-install-recommends; if you want to make this permanent, set APT::Install-Recommends "false"; in /etc/apt/apt.conf. Be aware that this may result in missing features in some programs.

(This change was made in Ubuntu 8.10.)
    /3/ > Medibuntu, Non-free codecs
    This package depends on the binaries codecs package matching your architecture
    (w32codecs for i386 and lpia and w64codecs for amd64 systems).

Links:

> HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help
    > FAQ: Repositories
    > FAQ: Package Managers
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: How to uninstall and reinstall packages

Thank you for explaining meta packages.
      Can I removel it and reinstall it?

My laptop has a 64-bit amd. I am running 32 bit kubuntu karmic on it.
      I added Medibuntu repository using the following command but it did not help with the sound.
      Code:
      sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update
      Non-free codecs should have been installed when I installed restricted packages.

Comment

Working...
      X